IDE to SATA - Making the switch

edited August 2009 in Hardware
OK I've changed out a few hard drives myself before but I guess I'm out of my league now. I could really use some professional advice.
One of our desktops experienced hard drive failure, I have no reason to be concerned with preserving any data or programs on it.

HP Pavilion a810n
Asus Salmon-GL6E M.B.
Old HD = Samsung spinpoint 160G 7200rpm

Newly Purchased
Seagate Baracuda 500G 7200rpm

I knew I had 2 SATA drive jacks on my mother board but have no SATA experience so didn't really know what it would look like when it got here. Now I'm not sure this switch is really as easy as I first thought it would be.
I guess it's safe to say I still need a SATA cable to connect to the "SATA1" slot on the MB but where does the power come from? Do I have to switch something else out? The only power connectors in the case are all to large to connect to the drive. You see I'm probably the worse type of novice, I know enough to get myself in trouble but honestly I really don't have much to loose taking the chance since this is not our only computer and we keep all our important data on an isolated hard drive I set up for storage only.
If any of you could help point me in the right direction or send me an "E slap" if I'm way off base and barking up the wrong tree here I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    SATA Power Cable (Black):

Sata_Cable.jpg

SATA Data Cable:
    Sata_Cable.gif

How they connect to a SATA drive:
    t01620030501pxp102_B.jpg

If you don't have a SATA power cable, you can buy an adapter for a few dollars at Best Buy, Microcenter, Fry's, or most places PC components are sold.
  • edited August 2009
    Sweet! Thanks a lot!
    Obviously I had no idea that existed.