I read that a jumper needs to be adjusted on a second HD.

edited August 2009 in Hardware
It used to work fine the way it was but then I put in a new master windows drive and now it's gone. Can you explain what the jumper is? ( think it's that little pin combiner in the space b/t the ribbon and the power cable. If it's not that, I obviously need a little more help (lol) Where should it be?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Yep, you're thinking about the right place. On the top or back of the drive somewhere, there should be a diagram explaining the possible positions for the jumper and what they mean - look for the one titled "Cable Select" and put the jumper in the matching position.

Does that make sense? Give us a model number or some pictures of the drive if you have some other questions, but you're on the right track.
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks! One more question: (maybe 2) If the setting was good forthe 1st master drive, shouldny it be the same for the second? the jumper setting has to be on one or both?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    There are two positions a hard drive can hold if it's attached to an IDE cable - master or slave. If your old drive was in the master position previously and had its jumper set for master, it likely wouldn't show up if it suddenly got moved to the slave position. The best way around this for most current hard drives is to set all the drives to cable select - that lets the system figure out for itself which is master and which is slave.

Does that make sense? Each IDE cable can have only one master and one slave - if you've set both drives to thinking they're the master, you'll lose one, same as if you've set both to think they're slave.
  • edited August 2009
    My old drive was always a slave drive. The master I pulled out of another computer and put into my good computer which had this second drive, So it was ALWAYS a slave. does the master windows drive have to be in a master position? I didnt move it at all the device driver gave the master as WDC WD136AA.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    My recommendation is to put both jumpers in the "Cable Select" position, then put the drive you want to be the "Master" on the end of the IDE cable and the "slave" on the connector further up.
  • edited August 2009
    that sounds good. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!