I took out the existing RAM from my pc and read the sticker,

PC3200
256MB
DDR400MHz

so went online and bought to new RAM chips both being:

PC3200
1GB
DDR400MHz

However, when the new RAM chips are installed in my PC the computer beebs and wont turn on

Tried the new ram in my family pc and works perfectly fine

any ideas????

Regards

Frasers09

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Need more information. Can you identify what motherboard you have, or if not what brand and model computer you have?

Can you also link the brand and model of memory you purchased?

Old chipsets cannot handle over a certain amount of memory, but i doubt thats the problem if you're only puting one gig in. It's possibley a dead stick from the start or it could be a timing issue.
  • edited August 2009
    I am trying to upgrate a Fujitsu Siemens scaleo p, sorry dont know the motherboard.

i bought samsung ram, where does the model number appear on the ram chip

i have tried the ram in another, older, computer and they work?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    Did you try to put the ram in more then once? Could be it just wasn't seated in correctly.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah tried a few times cheeking they were clipped in correctly each time
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    How old is the PC?

I am willing to bet.. it does not support 1GB memory modules. Do you know the "maximum installed ram" specification for it?

How many memory slots are there?
  • edited August 2009
    the pc is around 2 and a half years old

there is 2nr RAM slots

No dont know the "mazimum installed ram", is there anyway to find this out?
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    The manual for the PC and/or motherboard should tell you. If it has 2 slots, that means you're looking for it to say "Maximum installed memory 2GB" or something similar. If it says 1GB, it only supports 512MB modules.
  • edited August 2009
    hope this helps:

Mainboard

Data Bus Speed: 1000 MHz, 533 MHz, 800 MHz
    Ram

Installed Size: 1 GB / 2 GB (max), 1 GB / 3 GB (max), 512 MB, 256 MB, 256 MB / 3 GB (max), 512 MB / 3 GB (max), 1 GB, 2 GB
    Technology: DDR SDRAM, DDR2 SDRAM
    Memory Speed: 400 MHz, 533 MHz, 333 MHz
    Memory Specification Compliance: PC3200, PC2-4200, PC2700, PC4200
    Form Factor: DIMM 184-PIN, DIMM 240-pin
    Configuration Features: 2 x 512 MB
    edited August 2009
    Confused here though... it lists DDR and DDR2 types.

There are only 2 slots for ram on the board total?
  • edited August 2009
    yeah only 2 ram slots on the motherboard
    edited August 2009
    What model is the Scaleo?

I see this is still a current series for them.. they have Quad cores, etc available with this moniker.
    edited August 2009
    It sounds like your board should support 2GB of RAM. It's possible that the BIOS simply is not fully compatible with the modules you have purchased, especially if they seem to work fine in a different PC. I would suggest you try to boot using only one stick of the new RAM and see if you can get it to work. If it does, the computer may need a BIOS update to make the sticks fully compatible (which unfortunately is a tricky and slightly dangerous procedure), and if it does not, you may need to try returning the sticks and purchasing a different brand (if possible). The motherboard simply may not like the brand of RAM you bought.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Have you tried pulling the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS. Some times with new RAM the motherboard doesn't reset the timing values of the RAM correctly and clearing the BIOS fixes that, sometimes.
  • edited August 2009
    tried one existing 256mb RAM with one of my new 1GB RAM in the other slot last night.

Computer ran really slow as if it was just working off the 256MB RAM

Will taking the battery out of the motherboard cause any damage to my Machine?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    frasers09 wrote:
    tried one existing 256mb RAM with one of my new 1GB RAM in the other slot last night.

Computer ran really slow as if it was just working off the 256MB RAM

Will taking the battery out of the motherboard cause any damage to my Machine?

No, just make sure its off and unplugged before you do it.
  • edited August 2009
    I removed the battery from the motherboard last night and put it back in, however, new RAM chip not working

Why do you think the chips work in my family pc which is 6years old but my pc is 2 and a half years old wont let them work?
    edited August 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    The motherboard simply may not like the brand of RAM you bought.

Unfortunately, some BIOSes do not get along with all brands of RAM. Given what you've tried already without success, you're left with two options. 1, return the RAM and purchase a different brand and see if that works, or 2, see if there is a BIOS update available for your PC, and apply it. If you have to go with option 2, make sure to be very careful and read all the instructions properly before attempting to flash your BIOS. An improper BIOS-flash can render your PC unusable.

Edit - it is important to note that while option 2 may correct your problem, it also may not. BIOS updates often contain compatibility improvements for different brands of RAM, but there's no guarantee.