ATX into MATX case?

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Hi Guys,

I have the guts of an old PC at home which I replaced ages ago Parts as follows
Asus A7N8X-E Socket-A
1GB Kingston Hyper X RAM
AMD Athlon 2800 Barton

I have HDs kicking round left right and centre. All I need is a cheap AGP GPU and a case. My plan is to set it up as a media centre/file server. However all the media centre cases are MATX.

Will I be able to mount an ATX board in an MATX case with a bit of modding or am I wasting my time?

Alternatively can I get a cheap MATX MB that my components will work in?

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Wasting time. The ATX board will not fit an mATX chassis. I also don't believe you'll be able to find an mATX Socket A board without significant legwork on Ebay or similar.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    It's highly unlikely you will be able to fit an ATX mobo into an MATX case. I was able to find one Socket A MATX board on NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153052

Of course you'll have to find a standard PCI video card with the outputs you want. Overall I'd say you're probably better off getting a newer MATX motherboard, processor and memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500028

That should give you a good platform for a media PC. Just about every type of output you could ask for, processor included, just add memory.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I've seen an ATX board shoved into an NZXT Rogue, but that's a bigger-than-normal mATX case to most.

It's doable.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500028

That should give you a good platform for a media PC. Just about every type of output you could ask for, processor included, just add memory.

Nice find. Would that be powerful enough to play HD DVD/BlueRay? It says it can plat 1080P
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    RichD wrote:
    Nice find. Would that be powerful enough to play HD DVD/BlueRay? It says it can plat 1080P

Sure will.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    And the out come of this is????
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    ... a lack of funds to complete! lol
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    So no hack and sack of the case for a full ATX.......... :D
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    No. I sold the spare bit on ebay!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Man, that combo was one hell of a performer back in its day. I can't even remember how many A7N8X-series motherboards & Barton/Thoroughbred CPUs I had kicking around back then.

Build it! ;)
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Man, that combo was one hell of a performer back in its day. I can't even remember how many A7N8X-series motherboards & Barton/Thoroughbred CPUs I had kicking around back then.

Build it! ;)

Indeed Ghoosdum, this was the combo you suggested to me back in '04. That system, though it isn't my primary system anymore, is still up and running today like a champ. :bigggrin:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Very cool that it's still running well for you.

If it were still your primary system, I'd be cleaning carpet fibers off my jaw right now.