Headset Microphone Volume Fades In and Out

Revolution_SoupRevolution_Soup Lost...
edited August 2009 in Hardware
I play several online games that have a built in voice chat feature. My friends and other players report that while I am talking my voice fades in and out. This occurs while the mic is less than an inch from my mouth and I am speaking in a even volume.

I have an onboard sound card. I have tried using my microphone to record my own voice in Sound Recorder on my Windows PC and I get similar results.

What can I do to fix this? It has happened with every microphone I purchase.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Did you try these microphones on another working computer to see if you get the same result? Have you tried removing the soundcard and plugging the mic directly into the mobo?
  • Revolution_SoupRevolution_Soup Lost...
    edited August 2009
    No I haven't tried my current mic on another computer, but my friend has the same brand and model of the headset I have and I hear him crystal clear. My soundcard is on-board, so speakers/headphones/microphones plug directly into my mobo anyway.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Your buddy gives us the perfect trouble-shooting environment for this case, then. (if he lives close enough). Knowing the the same brand of mic works great for him on his system is ideal.

If you can work your mic on his system, then we'll know the issue is your mobo.

If you can't work your mic on his system, and neither can your buddy, then the problem is the mic.

If you can't work your mic on his system, but he can, then the issue is something that you are doing while you use the mic.

Alternatively, your buddy could bring his mic over to your computer for a similar test, just in reverse.
    edited August 2009
    Thank you. I should have thought of this. Unfortunately, my friend lives in the next city south, but I plan to visit him soon so I will get back to you with results.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    What OS?

I know vista/7 seems to have some sort of agc (automatic gain control) on the mic volume. you might look at the microphone properties page to see if the volume level for the mic is changing.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    There's also a setting in there where it asks what it should do with this sound source when it detects it's connected to a VOIP program. It's mislabeled games as VOIP before - might tell it not to do anything in that case. It's on the "communications" tab of the sound dialog in Win 7 - don't recall if it's present in Vista.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    The automatic gain control in Vista/7 applies to inbound audio, not outbound as is the case with the OP.
    edited August 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    What OS?

Windows XP x64 :( This wouldn't be the first compatibility issue I've had.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    The automatic gain control in Vista/7 applies to inbound audio, not outbound as is the case with the OP.

It also sets the gain/volume on the mic. It's a different feature than the 'automatically reduce by 50/80%'.