LAN party advice

edited August 2009 in Gaming
I havent hosted any lan party at all and I am very interested in it. I know how to hook up 2 computers and assume its the same with more. I was just wondering if there is any tips and common problems that pop up for first timers.

thanks for any info

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    How many people?
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Power is the first thing everyone over looks. 1 Circuit can NOT run 4+ systems. unless they are underpowered rigs, maybe 6 systems.
  • edited August 2009
    10 people max, im thinking 5 will show up + me so 6 people
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You'll need a switch with enough ports to cover all your guests. Make people bring a 25' network cable. Every computer connects to the switch, and the switch connects to a port on your router or directly to the modem.

Make sure each power circuit contains no more than 3 PCs, and make sure you have enough power strips.

Make everyone install a virus scanner, if only for the night.
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Make sure each power circuit contains no more than 3 PCs, and make sure you have enough power strips.

Running on 15amp fuses? I was estimating 5amps per system, 2amp for the lcd, 3 for the pc, on 20amp breakers, if they are 25amp breakers than you can get by with a few more. all comes down to what you have and can handle. do the math.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Nate, 3 pcs on a typical house circuit, is plenty safe.

15 amp circuit is 1800 watts total. 85% safety factor leaves you with 1530 watts. Most PC's that do not utilize dual video cards will not use 500W from the outlet.
    I allowed for 300W per system at the Expo here in June with the 52 we had running in the tent. We never blew a breaker.

@Insane, one of the challenges with the power (granted you are only talking 6 of you) is that there can be up to 10 outlets on 1 breaker (depending on what was allowed in local electrical codes). Which can translate into 1 whole room on the same one (depending on size). Just keep in mind that if you do blow a breaker, try to either move people to another room or run a temporary extension cord into the room with a power strip or 2 on it :)
    edited August 2009
    oh god, daisy chaining, bad idea.

Thrax said only 3 pc's, you can easily fit more but you need to do the math for your circuit and the systems you have to know exactly how much you can support.

Formula to figure out your power
    A*V=W
    Amps Volts Watts
    or to figure out amps, W/V=A
    800W psu/120V = 6.6W PEAK

I was estimating 3amps being 360W for the tower.

Keep in mind if people bring battery backups those use power to keep the battery charged and monitor the power.
    Most large lans ban the use, you shouldn't have to worry about that if you keep it 4-5 pc's a circuit.
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    its really not at all this complicated. although good lookin out guys, the switch is a big thing, power, bout the biggest thing i'd worry about is having grounded circuits, which is a requierment most places anymore i'd assume, but maybe check that. otherwise. unless you happen to have a room big enough to fit all 6 PC's, your probably going to be in separate parts of the house anyway, which translates into separate circuits. couple of extension cords and a few decent quality surge protectors should do you nicely. mostly, worrie about having enough caffeinated soda and munchies for 6 people for a weekend.

after you get all set up and settled in to play, you may run into patch issues with that games. that can be a headache, so if at all possible have people pre-install all games you plan on playing, makes things go a lot smother
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You dont have to do any math. Just run an extension cord to a room you know is on a different breaker, and put 3 on each line. But yeah, make sure your switch is up and pinging. Nothing is more of a gaming buzz kill than having to wait for IT support.