BSOD Dell XPS 210 Please please help me

edited August 2009 in Hardware
hi
Im new to the forum and need your guys expert help. I have recently had a BSOD on the hard drive of my Dell xps 210 the hard drive is a 320GB Western Digital 7,200rpm SATA, as most people experience it was working perfectly and the "BANG" BSOD and now I cant even get it to boot up.

I am now using a new hard drive upgraded my ram etc etc, hence I am now back on line, I have bought the correct enclosure and have tried the old hard drive on 2 different pc's - 1 was a laptop - and it wont boot at all it just shows the BSOD on both other pcs I connected it to, I have many important things on this hard drive I need to recover, but being as the both pc s I tried it on wont even boot in safe mode BSOD appears again and promts me to just shuts down.

Before my pc was upgraded it had the follwing spec

Dell XPS 210
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2; 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo E6600; 1,024MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz; 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro; 320GB Western Digital 7,200rpm SATA

I now have a new 1tb HD and 4gb of RAM but I really need this old hard drive working the message i get is

PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
STOP: 0X00000050 (0xD4940000, 0x00000000, 0x804D9DA8, 0x00000000)

I have many precious things on this hard drive (pics of my daughter as a very young baby, pics of my dog as a puppy etc etc) which I would be heartbroken to lose, I know I should have backed up and god dont I know it, but please is there anything I can do or am I just p*****g in the wind and is it dead?? I dont really want to spend £100s on it to get it back in working order.

Im hoping you guys can help me out
In anticiaption

Dean

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Forgot to mention its running Vista 32 bit
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Are you saying you attempted to boot the hard drive with the failed Windows install on other PCs? If that is so, this will not work. An install of WIndows can only boot on the PC on which it was installed. You can, however, connect the drive to an external adapter and plug it in while a PC is running, then just copy the data off.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    If I were you I'd drop another HDD into the Dell, boot with a Linux liveCD can try to copy the files across to the other hard drive.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Take out the old (bad) HD.

Install windows on the new one.

Plug old one back in, make sure it boots from the new one.

You should be able to copy files over.
  • edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Are you saying you attempted to boot the hard drive with the failed Windows install on other PCs? If that is so, this will not work. An install of WIndows can only boot on the PC on which it was installed. You can, however, connect the drive to an external adapter and plug it in while a PC is running, then just copy the data off.

Thrax
    this is what Im trying to do connect the hard drive to my own pc while windows is running ( I have another enclosure and a different HD and as soon as I plug this in to my own pc - via usb - it just lets me open the files and works perfectly)
    When I plug this corrupt HD in - via a usb - it just bring up the BSOD no matter what PC i plug it into
  • edited August 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    Take out the old (bad) HD.

Install windows on the new one.

Plug old one back in, make sure it boots from the new one.

You should be able to copy files over.

Ive already done this and its not working it brings the BSOD back up again
    edited August 2009
    Dean wrote:
    Thrax
    this is what Im trying to do connect the hard drive to my own pc while windows is running ( I have another enclosure and a different HD and as soon as I plug this in to my own pc - via usb - it just lets me open the files and works perfectly)
    When I plug this corrupt HD in - via a usb - it just bring up the BSOD no matter what PC i plug it into

Ah, I see what you're saying. Okay. Hmm. I'll have to think of some options, but we'll be able to get around this. Sounds like the HDD is bad.
    edited August 2009
    1. Download the Ubuntu ISO from this location: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    2. Burn the ISO to CD using this tutorial: http://icrontic.com/articles/burn_iso_disc_image_free
    3. Boot from the Ubuntu CD and choose the option that lets you try it without installing it. Use the TOP OPTION on this screen.
    4. Once it finally loads into the desktop, plug your external hard drive in and launch the FILE BROWSER. It looks like this: http://www.techotopia.com/images/0/0e/Ubuntu_linux_file_browser.jpg
    5. Notice the left side of the window, how it says 8.0 GB volume? Your INTERNAL hard drive and EXTERNAL hard drive will appear in this location. What you must do is access the external hard drive (you will be able to identify it by its size), and then copy all of the files you want to rescue over to the INTERNAL hard drive.
    6. Once you have copied everything you want to save, restart the PC, remove the Ubuntu CD, boot back into Windows, and pitch the old hard disk.

If this doesn't work, there's not a whole lot you can do with that external.