Stop Message 0x0000008E

edited August 2009 in Hardware
Ok, I got my Acer laptop back from acer warranty today, they replaced my harddrive, motherboard and lord knows what else. It came with an old 2006 version of Nortons on it so I thought I was protected. Any way I get a bogus Antivirus 2010 pop up, and a big red x icon in the tray saying my computer is infected. After some searching I thiink I have the haxdor virus..now.I tried to safe mode start, it wont work, it gives me a screen full of this..multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)..blahblahblah. Then I tried memtest86 burnt it to a disc, I got it to boot from the disc, but memtest86 only runs to 65% until my pc restarts again..and again..65% is far as it goes and let it run for about 10 mins. I cant get past the BSOD now in any mode..I dont have a windows xp disc either.

Here is my exact stop message:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005,0x8052D8F7,0xBA5865C4,0x00000000)

Can someone please help, or should I send it back to Acer being that I have a few months left on my warranty...Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    1. If the PC reboots throughout memtest, you probably have faulty memory covered under warranty.
    2. You've been infected by the legendary Smitfraud strain of spyware. Once you get the memory replaced, you'll probably have to completely reformat Windows (restore to factory settings) because you cannot load any of its modes to repair the OS.
    3. Nobody makes effective spyware protection, so even if it was Norton 2042, you probably would not have been saved from spyware.
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks, I wonder if they will cover it since it was really my fault. Im going to try to send it back to them anyway.
    edited August 2009
    The memory should surely be covered, but I'm 99% sure that Windows will be your problem. :/
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2009
    Why not do a restore before sending it back? If it is OS related the restore will fix it and you wont have to send it back. If the problem persists after a restore the send it back.
    edited August 2009
    His PC is rebooting during memtest. That's not right. :)
  • edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    His PC is rebooting during memtest. That's not right. :)

so what the above guy said won't work?
  • edited August 2009
    ev1lle1 wrote:
    so what the above guy said won't work?

meaning the restore, if there is a chance it will work, how do I do it?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    If your system is rebooting during memtest, there is no chance that formatting and reinstalling Windows will fix that. Windows has absolutely nothing to do with memtest. Memtest doesn't even touch the hard disk.