Which video card to keep.

ButtersButters CA Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Hardware
I'm considering swapping out parts with someone on a cruddy spare system. Won't really be used for games, but if it did, it would be <=dx9 games and nothing important. May also become test system, for various server OS's, betas, etc.

I currently have Geforce 8500 512mb and I could swap it for a Quadro NVS 290 256mb. What would be the better of the two cards all around?

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Unless you plan on using that box to do CAD work or rendering, keep the GeForce.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Unless you plan on using that box to do CAD work or rendering, keep the GeForce.

Okay then, what if I put it on a box that did. My bro does cad and he has 8600gt which he also play EA sports games on lower res. 8600GT vs this all around?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the Quadro numbering scheme. I just know that Quadros are not supposed to be good for gaming. They're workstation cards.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Well, there is working in CAD, then there is creating in CAD.

If your just editing content other users created, standard 2D prints that sort of thing, any consumer level dedicated graphics card will be fine. If you are creating your own 3D exploded view prints, using inventor, that sort of thing you might want to try the workstation card see if it fares better.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Just thought I should point out that the NVS range is distinct from the FX series.

NVS cards are designed to run multiple monitors (hence the DMS-59 output which can be split into x2 DVI) not to do 3D rendering.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Basil wrote:
    Just thought I should point out that the NVS range is distinct from the FX series.

NVS cards are designed to run multiple monitors (hence the DMS-59 output which can be split into x2 DVI) not to do 3D rendering.

It actually comes from a deprecated Dell Workstation, which will be donated soon. It came from an accounting firm that used Multi-monitors so it probably isn't that functional of a card anyway.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Quadro cards are for 3D CAD, rendering, etc. Not for gaming.

If you are not Gaming.. then Quadro are very good workstation cards.

If you plan on gaming.. keep the 8500.
  • stealth1111stealth1111 Canada Member
    edited August 2009
    Id say keep them both.

like if you have a older computer you can put the Quadro for working.

so you dont have to go out and get a newer computer and so on