Dead to the World....uh oh!!!

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited August 2009 in Hardware
Came home to the clocks flashing....thought nothing of it...

Went into the office to find my PC running but nothing up...no big deal it sleeps after so long....

Esc...nothing...Esc...hmmm

Reset button...nothing....uh oh...

Notice that the surge light is burnt out...UH OH...and the red light onthe PC is steady...hmmm

Hard reset and nothing...no boot....

I am thinking its the MB....since i cant get anything...boot or nothing...Monitor is saying no signal....

I am due for an overhaul so not crying....but want to make sure i am not missing something before i go through the trouble

Thoughts?

TIA

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Sounds like an unlikely fix, but it never hurts to unplug everything, open it up, take the mobo button cell battery out, hold power down to drain any additional current and wait a few minutes, pop the battery back in, plug up and cross your fingers that the BIOS resets and you can boot.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited August 2009
    new there was a cmos reset...ok...will give it a whirl...
    edited August 2009
    nah...red light still on...steady red light...on the case...think she is fried...hmmm

decisison time...wife been pushing for me to give up building...wants a LT instead...

half tempted to agree getting to old for this stuff....lol
    edited August 2009
    nah...red light still on...steady red light...on the case...think she is fried...hmmm

decisison time...wife been pushing for me to give up building...wants a LT instead...

half tempted to agree getting to old for this stuff....lol

So your power supply seems okay? How old is everything? Perhaps you could just replace the mobo and milk it a while longer?

I have read one or two things about a surge actually frying a single stick of RAM and nothing else, maybe try to just boot off a single stick, swap that one out, try again, assuming you have a few on the system?
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    are you still using that burnt surge protector?
    edited August 2009
    swapped the monitor and cpu plugs and same thing...its one of the desktop protectors...not the floor things...

I just replaced this Mobo not too long ago...

talked to the wife...think going to scap it for parts...just put new burner in this yr and mobo....so will scrap it and whatever i get put towards a LT...

I dont game, build, or test like i used to...heck all i do now is Inet, occasional spades, email, word and watch tv on it....lol
    edited August 2009
    Out of curiosity what kind of hardware do you have? I'm in the process of putting together an inexpensive system, I might be able to purchase an optical drive, not sure how you feel about selling the hard drive, but I could use an extra, and even a power supply is on my list.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    The red light.. is it the IDE activity light?

Try this first:

Disconnect the PSU from everything (wall, mobo, etc) ...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple hard drives to a molex connector to provide a load.

Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back to On.......the PSU should start up and run.

Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34941

Once you know the PSU works, then remove all ram and power on the board, do you get nothing but constant beeping? If yes.. then replace 1 ram stick at a time.. does any 1 of them make the system work?
    edited August 2009
    the PSU is running...The PSU leds are up and running and fans are all running...IS it the PSU you are trying to test here?

I hear drives kicking...I honestly think the MB is fried...

How long is the warranty on these Bios?...i dont want to get into testing this thing like last time...i must have went through like 3 of these things last time...kept getting bad ones....not the bio another brand and finally upgraded to the Bio...

looks like this one is almost 2 yrs old...

Forester:

My Sig has my list of stuff in this machine....
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Ok.. then continue with what I posted after the PSU thing.

Remove all the ram and see if you get beeps (you have a speaker connected, right?)
    edited August 2009
    nah...speaker on this machine busted long time ago....
    edited August 2009
    Ok...I swapped the Sticks...and the Red LED is still on.

W/o a speaker not going to hear any beeps...time to break for some lunch w/ the kid...

Going to think about what going to do...

Its time for a new rig anyhow by the time i spend the money on a new rig your looking at 200....another 200 and i got a vio ... and the wife is happy adn i am out of the pc repair business...

Ebay my old rig and get what i can out of it...just bought the burner dang it....time to do some thinking...