A primer on Tequila

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Zapopan Reposado, I well check if its in stock during my next TJ run.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    What tastes like pepper and ball sweat? TEQUILA.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    What tastes like pepper and ball sweat?

The fact that you are familiar with the taste of ball sweat explains alot.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    <Brian>What, haven't you tasted your own balls before?</Brian>
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Good tequila is worth the price of admission almost always.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    <Brian>What, haven't you tasted your own balls before?</Brian>

;D
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Coffee flavored tequila in particular became an instant Icrontic favorite during the week of E3.

ooooooh man, good beyond words. I wish that stuff was sold on this side of the border.

Very interesting read, great article Ghoosdum.

I'm still very much a tequilla n00b. I've heard Prime throw around 'Mixto' before, didn't realize that it was an actual category. It's taken awhile for me to warm up to Tequilla. This is mostly because I didn't have any exposure to real tequillas until recently.

Tequilla has been a bit of an aquired taste for me. I've had some 'good' tequillas that I didn't like at all. Conversely, I've had some 'good' tequillas that redefined the nature of the drink for me.

In LA last June I had Asom Broso. Any thoughts on it? I really liked it (and it was on EA's dime!)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    This article is like a fine tequila, full of win.

Sauza is excellent and reasonably priced. I'm making it a point to make my next bottle Zapopan Reposado. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Let me also add, tequila makes me shake my ass at awkward social situations, its magic I tell ya, 100% magic.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Let me start with this: I LOVE Tequila. Love it. It MAY be my favorite type of liquor. I'm not sure yet.

That said, I am 100% behind Rob on this; I have been a tequilavangelist for some time now; doing damage control on bad PR that crappy tequila has. People who shudder and exclaim at 'tequila hangover' stories all have one thing in common: They were drinking cheap, crap-ass tequila.
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    the only good reason i have ever found to drink tequila, is that a little old woman made me do it. why is that a good reason? because i've been brought up to respect my elders, and therefor i had no choice.

*off to dream of scotch*
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Tequila is just a waist of space where more beer could go.
    edited August 2009
    Magic, Sometimes beer can compliment tequila nicely.
    edited August 2009

Yeah, right.

vomit-beer.jpg
    edited August 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    Yeah, right.

First, yuck,

Second, did you read nothing that Rob wrote? It takes a little finesse to be an educated drinker so you don't end up like that.

It's all about balance and pacing yourself. Sure, if you chug an entire bottle of tequila your going to probably make a disgusting mess of some variety and wake up totally messed up in the morning, not very appealing. Now, have a couple of shots with a couple of beers and you have a good time. Make sure you take your multivitamin in the morning before, drink some water between your booze to make sure you stay hydrated, and you will wake up feeling just fine, as long as you exercise a certain level of maturity and moderation about your alcohol consumption.

This article is more than just tequila, its about leaving your inner frat boy behind and drinking like an educated mature adult.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    This article is more than just tequila, its about leaving your inner frat boy behind and drinking like an educated mature adult.

Wow, thanks Cliff, I see that comment as a huge compliment. :D
    UPSLynx wrote:
    In LA last June I had Asom Broso. Any thoughts on it? I really liked it (and it was on EA's dime!)

I've never tried it, but I'll track it down and give it a shot.
    edited August 2009
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I've never tried it, but I'll track it down and give it a shot.

Hah, pun.

My beef with tequila stems from a bad experience between it and gin&tonics(my former favorit drink) that resulted in me not being able to stomach the tast of gin anymore.

Great article though GH. I might have to go give tequila a go with a more open mind to it.
    edited August 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    Hah, pun.

My beef with tequila stems from a bad experience between it and gin&tonics(my former favorit drink) that resulted in me not being able to stomach the tast of gin anymore.

Great article though GH. I might have to go give tequila a go with a more open mind to it.

Attaboy Magic,

I hear that story all to often. I had a bad experience on alcohol X thus I will never be able to tolerate it. The part they often leave out is on how they either drank the lowest quality spirits possible, or chugged it so quickly, or in such a large quantity that it would give a Wompa a hangover. We are human, there are limits, one has to slow down, enjoy getting his drink on.

With any hard liquor, beer even, pacing and moderation is the key to a good night. We all have that bad experience story, mine was with a bottle of Captain Morgan, it was not the Rum's fault, it was mine for drinking an entire 5th bottle like an immature frat boy would, and I paid the price. Rum still agrees with me just fine, just not so much, so fast.

Now, back on the topic of tequila, seriously, for me there is no drink more satisfying, more utterly masculine feeling that a good swallow of tequila. It just tastes and smells like drinking, its hard to explain, but there is something utterly satisfying about knowing that you and a couple of friends are going to share a bottle. Rob is right, there is a variety out there, and there is some good stuff, and some stuff that is scary bad. It won't be everyone's favorite, some people will prefer the more earthy taste of scotch, some folks will be straight beer people forever, and some will only ever enjoy wine, but we do owe it to ourselves to give a quality bottle of tequila a 2nd chance while obeying the rules of moderation before you write it off for good.

I'll bring a bottle to the MD Ren Fest get together, be there...
    edited August 2009
    cherplunka wrote:
    the only good reason i have ever found to drink tequila, is that a little old woman made me do it. why is that a good reason? because i've been brought up to respect my elders, and therefor i had no choice.

*off to dream of scotch*

Cherplunka out of NOWHERE!
    edited August 2009
    Definitely give it a shot Rob. I don't know how it stacks to really really good tequillas, as I said my exposure has been limited to this point, but I really enjoyed it. Really smooth.

I think I remember seeing/hearing somewhere that the guy who started Asom Broso is from the D.

Prime and I have an itch for Tequilla now after reading this, we may scratch that itch tonight.
    edited August 2009
    Yup. Kati brought some 100% de agave reposado back from Mexico for me as a gift; I have two little bottles of those and a 1/4 bottle of 1800 100% de agave reposado in the freezer.

Tonight we will buy lemons. Tonight we will drink tequila.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    If you're doing shots, instead of salt-shot-lime, try cinnamon-shot-orange. Marushka's family introduced me to this, and it's pretty good.
    edited August 2009
    I don't lick / slam / suck, I just straight slam it baby! That's how I roll.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    i feel sorry for your wife.
    edited August 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    i feel sorry for your wife.

Just the tequila, just the tequila,

Seriously though, I enjoy a little lime with it from time to time, but the salt never added anything to the experience for me. I tend to take my Sauza straight up, perhaps accompanied by medium bodied beer.
  • DareDare SD
    edited August 2009
    Favorite Tequilla beverage: Salty Dog
    White (Blanco) Tequilla
    Unsweetened grapefruit juice.
    Equal amounts, rim with Margarita salt and a lime.

<3<3<3
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2009

Have you guys ever heard of Desporado? It is tequilla infused beer. Kinda like Corrona or Coors but with a shot of tequilla in it.

It is amazing. Tastes really citrusy, almost like lager and lime but I think it is about 6.5%. Even better one of my local bars does a special offer of all bottles are 3 for £5!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    RichD wrote:
    Have you guys ever heard of Desporado? It is tequilla infused beer. Kinda like Corrona or Coors but with a shot of tequilla in it.

It is amazing. Tastes really citrusy, almost like lager and lime but I think it is about 6.5%. Even better one of my local bars does a special offer of all bottles are 3 for £5!

yck.

I used to drink Desperados on the last day before payday when I was in Germany because it was .40€/bottle. I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

:D
    edited August 2009
    Enjoyed some 100% agave reposado with Prime tonight, lemon on the side.

Don't know what it's called, something from Mexico.

Was good, finally got a fix after reading this piece.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    luna azul silver. very respectable tequila, I'm all about the silvers though.
    edited September 2009
    UNDERAGE DRINKING! COOL STORY, BRO!