Arkham Asylum: Good or Bad?

ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
edited October 2009 in Gaming
Everything I've read agrees that the new Batman game incorporates the source material better then any other licensed game to date. That's great, but I'm not familiar with the comic book side of things at all. So does this dampen my Dark Knight experience? In short, no.

So far, I love this game! I'm only about 6 hours in to it and everything about Batman: Arkham Asylum screams quality. It looks great and the story (so far) has been expertly handled. Combat feels balanced and fun, plus you have so much to unlock and upgrade. I have many great things to say about this game, but I'll wait until I've completed the experience.

Comments

• ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    While I can only really base my opinion of the game on my experience with the demo I wasn't very impressed. The graphics were nice but you spend most of the time in detective mode anyways which completely ruins it. The bosses from the trailers look amazing but fighting against normal enemies is absolutely terrible, it's worse than Assassin's Creed in that aspect.

Also, what's with not allowing ATI cards to use Anti Aliasing and then delaying the game to implement Physx? We ATI card users just got shafted like always =/
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    We ATI card users just got shafted like always =/

Buy Nvidia.

I've been looking forward to this. I would like to grab it for PS3.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    The Demo sucked. I have since had a chance to play the full game for a couple hours. It's extremely good. The demo doesn't even feel like it's for the same game by comparison.
    edited August 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    Buy Nvidia.

I've been looking forward to this. I would like to grab it for PS3.
    Heh, not always that easy. When I bought my HD 4850 it was $40 less than the cheapest 9800GTX+ (Nvidia's equivalent at the time, very similar to the GTS 250). If Nvidia didn't love to keep prices jacked all the time I would probably stick with them.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    From reviews, many say the game's great at the beginning, and then the last two bosses break it.

I still hope to try it out.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You reminded me to pick up my preorder.
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited August 2009
    I noticed a nice little surprise on the PS3 version before starting the game. Check in the Movies tab in the XMB and enjoy.
    edited August 2009
    You can also play as the Joker in the PS3 version.
    edited August 2009
    But you can only play as the Batman on the Xbox and PC. What now Snark?
    edited August 2009
    ... Consoles win again?

Who knows! Finally the PS3 has something exclusive instead of the 360. :D
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    You can also play as the Joker in the PS3 version.

I did not know that. Where did you get this news?
    edited August 2009
    The front of the box cover, among other places.
    edited August 2009
    Sorry, I thought you meant the whole campaign. :O :tim:
    edited August 2009
    I have to say that overall Batman has to be one of the best action/adventure games I've played in quite some time. This game really does feel like it's empowering you to play as Batman, which is something crucial that most icon based games miss. But what really makes Batman so good is just the game design and controls. Eidos really is the king of this kind of game. It's the blend between action, adventure, puzzle solving and discovery that makes Batman work. It really reminds me of Eidos's older games like Legacy of Kaine and Soul Reaver.

What made those games so good and Batman as well is that your character was Badass. You aren't forced to take on the world in certain ways. You can fight like you want to fight, you can explore the hell out of the place and really put in as much as you want into the games. While the game itself is relatively straight forward in that you are pointed in the direction you need to go. It feels like you have the freedom to get there on your own terms. All along the way of course there are areas you can't get to yet because you need to find the right gadget or power, which just makes you want to explore all the more.

Batman is an excellent game period. It's not just an excellent game for Batman fans or an excellent comic>video game, game. Batman is simply an excellent game. I'm not even touching on the audio or visuals here. Which I should say are top notch. The voice acting is perfect everyone sounds like you'd expect them to, which shouldn't be surprising since the polled the cast from the cartoons. But they dialogue is fantastic and the ambient noise really creates atmosphere that makes Arkham an opposing place.

The visuals for the characters are perfect. Batman looks imposing the Joker looks insane, everyone has that twisted feel to them and the set pieces...oh the set pieces. The architecture is Gothic to the core. Huge, imposing, warn down looking and kinda mad scientist looking all at the same time.

I really can't think of anything to pick apart in this game. 5 out of 5
    edited August 2009
    I picked it up last night and couldn't really get into it for the hour or so that I played it... hoping to give it some more time tonight and get into something that's more compelling. I was really tired, so I'm hoping that was it.
    edited August 2009
    The first hour is still kinda learning the ropes, they don't throw much at you and it's pretty straight forward where you have to go. I think it's about the time where you have to rescue guards from a room filling up with poisonous gas is where the game picks up.
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I got past that and wasn't too thrilled. I stopped right after fighting the huge dude in front of the isolation section.

I'll give it another shot tonight with a couple hours.
    edited August 2009
    I saw the final battle on youtube. Don't really know what happened to the Joker but it seemed like a pretty lame fight. I hope the other boss fights aren't disappointing.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    I saw the final battle on youtube.
    ur doin it rong
    edited August 2009
    I don't know why people love to judge games based on youtube videos so much. I am also clueless as to why you would want to watch the ending before you even start playing the game. Do you read the last pages of horror novels first too?
    edited August 2009
    I finished it Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    edited August 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    I don't know why people love to judge games based on youtube videos so much. I am also clueless as to why you would want to watch the ending before you even start playing the game. Do you read the last pages of horror novels first too?

I don't read horror novels, so no. I would also like to point out I never really judged the game just the last fight. From what I hear the rest of the game is solid.
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    I finished it Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Told you so :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I have it on PS3.

Great, great game for all the reasons Kryst stated.

What caught me is that effort to make you feel vulnerable. Batman is strong and quick but he is vulnerable too. Sure, he can swoop down & knock someone out but he isn't safe from repeated shots from an automatic weapon. He will bleed if knifed by a stressed out bad guy. The thought process of where he is strong and where he is weak really aids the game.

People have commented that the "bosses" are too easy or weak. But consider the context of the story. They were too in the comics & animated series. The first boss is done with one throw of a batarang. But that's the point. It's not supposed to be like every other "here comes the end of level" boss. It's supposed to follow the directive from the source material. I thought that was fantastic AND brave of Eidos to follow that path.

Finally, someone does justice to Batman in a game. Why on earth did it take so long? Hopefully other publishers & developers see what has happened here and realise that people with money actually care about the source material.
    edited September 2009
    I agree the Boss fights feel right within the context of the game and Batman as a whole. Batman is badass, he's usually much better equiped and physically more imposing then most of his opponents, there are a few exceptions like Killer Croc and Bane. But I mean generally his targets are whimps. What makes them hard in the comics or shows is that they've got some advantage Batman must overcome or they have in some ways debilitated him.

That's what the Boss fights are like in the game. Batman doesn't go one on one with Harley Quinn he's got to get past her trap etc.... The boss fights are also well slotted into the story. I don't see what the internet bruhaha is all about.
    edited September 2009
    While on the subject I'd like to see a sequel. One idea would be huge and open world, allow you to drive around in your vehicles and hunt enemies in their nests. While that'd certainly be fun, I don't think it'd be as fun as a well scripted story based game. Open world games always run into that wash repeat cycle where they have a handful of different missions that you repeat endlessly. Spiderman was good but the world missions got stale after awhile. Especially in it's sequels that all had that been there done that feeling to them.

So if they do a Batman sequel I'd much rather see another story based game. Not open world. Certainly feel free to put in a car chase or a motorcycle chase but keep the story driving the game and not the player.

I'd also love to see this development team give some love to other comic characters that have been shafted or just need a game. The Punisher for one needs some love. I mean you could practically see him in place of Batman in the current game. He'd be killing thugs of course with guns but the key elements are there. Daredevil would be a great character. Extremely acrobatic, excellent fighter potential for awesome sonar based game play modes. Lobo over the top, incredibly violent but very funny. Give him a great story and reason to unleash and that'd make for some great game play. Wolverine, the current video game came close, but could be much better. Lastly with Deadpool getting his own movie he'll need a video game of course and I can think of no better way to do it then with this kind of treatment.

There's others but I've gotta stop at some point.
  • woombawoomba EARTH
    edited September 2009
    It's got to be the BEST super hero game I've ever played. And Mark Hammil's joker is always much obliged. :D
    edited September 2009
    Weren't the Riddler's Challenges supposed to be hard? I've already got half of them and I haven't been actively looking.
    edited September 2009
    The biggest problem with the Riddler trophies, at least, is that half of them you come across at the beginning of the game when you don't have the required tools to retrieve them.
    edited September 2009
    I noticed that. The sewers especially. I can't even remember how to get back to them.