PLZ HELP, no power

edited August 2009 in Hardware
hey guys im having major problems, i was listening to music on my acer aspire 1700x when it jus shut off. now it wont turn on at all, i thought maybe powersupply so i got an old 1 out that has a green LED light on the back, now when i plug it in it lights up but when i plug the 24 pin into the MOBO n hit the power button the PSU light shuts off n wont turn on? so what i need 2 know is, is this jus a bad PSU or did my MOBO fry also?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You can test the original power supply like this.. see if it comes on:

Disconnect the PSU from everything (wall, mobo, etc) ...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple hard drives to a molex connector to provide a load.

Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back to On.......the PSU should start up and run.

Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34941
  • edited August 2009
    ok i tried the PSU that came with pc n notta didnt do a thing, now i tried my older PSU n it started up the fan. i can hook up the cpu fan and the 24 pin connector but its older and doesnt have the same hard drive and optical drive hook ups as the other PSU so im at a loss, if i jus do 24 pin and cpu should it start up the pc somewhat or will it not do anything?
    edited August 2009
    You don't need a hard drive and you don't need Optical to boot the PC.

Plug in the proper connections on the motherboard and the Video card (if the card has a power connector) and yes, the old PSU should start the board.

If the old PSU does not have the 4 pin for the CPU and the board DOES have one.. then no, it won't work.
  • edited August 2009
    ok it has the 4 pin and the 24 pin and thats the only thing the old PSU had except the HDD and optical pins. i plug the 2 into the MOBO and plug n the AC n the green light on PSU lights up, but when i hit the power button the green light on the back of the PSU turns off n the cpu twitches. now the PSU that is bad that came with pc is a 220w and my older one that works is a 250w so i dont know whats wrong now, did it fry my MOBO?
    edited August 2009
    It looks like it may have, yes.
  • edited August 2009
    damn ok thanks 4 the help, guess gota buy a new 1. ive wanted to upgrade to a crossfire or sli board with atleast 4g any ideas on a cheap 1 thats decent, b/c i think my cpu should b ok and its a 2.4 if not ill get a new one. thanks 4 the help