RAID 1 increasing disk size

edited August 2009 in Hardware
Hi,

I have a proliant dl320 generation 5 running 2 x 250GB SATA drives on RAID1.

My question is this. I want to increase my disk space by swapping the 2x250GB with 2x500GB drives but does RAID 1 like having a different size disk if I hot swapped one over?

Any advice much appriciated as I'm kinda new at this :(

Cheers

Gav

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    gav81 wrote:
    Hi,

I have a proliant dl320 generation 5 running 2 x 250GB SATA drives on RAID1.

My question is this. I want to increase my disk space by swapping the 2x250GB with 2x500GB drives but does RAID 1 like having a different size disk if I hot swapped one over?

Any advice much appriciated as I'm kinda new at this :(

Cheers

Gav

If you are only interested in data redundancy there should be no reason why you could not raid 1 one of the 250 gb drives with a 500, but it would not yield any increase in storage because you will be limited by the smaller drive. Once you get the data on a 500 gb drive, your best bet is to use the two 500 gb drives in a raid 1 array for redundancy, and the 250's can face the hammer.
  • edited August 2009
    If you are only interested in data redundancy there should be no reason why you could not raid 1 one of the 250 gb drives with a 500, but it would not yield any increase in storage because you will be limited by the smaller drive. Once you get the data on a 500 gb drive, your best bet is to use the two 500 gb drives in a raid 1 array for redundancy, and the 250's can face the hammer.

Cheers for the quick reply.

Yeah the idea is to bin the 250 drives. But I only have two slots. So will taking one 250 drive out slapping in a 500 let it rebuild and then take the other 250 drive out and putting in the other 500 drive and letting it build off the other 500 drive.

Does that make sense? Never done it before.

Gav
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You should be able to do that. You'll have to use something like GParted to expand the partition(s) afterward.