CPU compatability

beginagain43beginagain43 Ft. Lauderdale,Fl.
edited August 2009 in Hardware
Hi Thanx for the welcome--taking NAP classes-hence the username--anyway--one of my wife's friends bought a motherboard and CPU --the motherboard I think is useless for my needs ,but I wanted to know if an ASUS P4P800 MX-S Motherboard will support dual core technology--specifically--can i install an Intel PD 805 2.66 GHz dual core where an old pentium 4 now resides--I am running 32 bit XP Home Edition--Thanx for any help--Joe

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Sorry, no. They are entirely two different cpu socket types and the LGA 775 socket 805 will not fit into the P4P800 MX-S motherboard's 478 socket.
  • beginagain43beginagain43 Ft. Lauderdale,Fl.
    edited August 2009
    adarryl wrote:
    Sorry, no. They are entirely two different cpu socket types and the LGA 775 socket 805 will not fit into the P4P800 MX-S motherboard's 478 socket.

thank you for that--let me ask you this then-will the motherboard that came with it--anMSIPM8PM-V work wher my ASUS was before?--it will only support 2Gb of RAM--is it a quality enough M/B to Make the change --and will i have to make major adjustments i.e. drivers reload O/S etc.even though all is the same except the Motherboard and the processor?--I hope I explained that enough--I just want to know should i follow the "if it aint broke,don't fix it"--or is that MSI board with @Gb of RAM superior to what I currently have and woth changing out---thanx In advance
    edited August 2009
    My current setup is an ASUS P4P800 MX-S with a Pentium 4 --new external sound and video card-new h/D and CD/DVD burner--the oldest thing there is the MB and the processor--so i was wondering if this change out would be an advantage or a headache--I will provide any other details if needed thank you--Joe
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Well, it would be a bit of an adventure. First, your MSI PM8PM-V will support the 805 processor so that's workable. However, that MSI board requires DDR2 RAM. Do you have that? Your ASUS board uses DDR1 RAM so they cannot interchange that component either. So if you use the 805 in your MSI board and buy DDR2 RAM appropriate for the board, you can make a working system of it. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide. I have to say the 805 will be a step up from any Pentium 4 478 processor in terms of performance. However, both of these "systems" are old technology by today's standards. If you want to tinker, go for it. If you want a more powerful system, the 805 can do that (especially if overclocked), but for a few bucks you can beat both of these combos. Here are some examples: http://www.directron.com/mobobundles.html?_s_icmp=combos

Remember, any way you choose to go, if you transfer a hard drive from one motherboard to another, you will have to format it and install the operating system again along with drivers for your peripherals.
    edited August 2009
    thanks again for all the info--i think i will "frankenstein" this mobo and cpu in am old box i have --just replace the dvd and H/D --and put in windows 7 RC--i will leave my functioning PC albeit "old" the way it is since it works perfectly is fast and i keep it optimized constantly--don't want a self-induced headache/disaster on my hands--so in summation: asus mobo w/pentium 4 windows xp 32 bit iam currently on will STAY AS IS---i will tinker with the other --i need the learning experience anyway--thank you for the links and your expert advice---Joe