FCC chair vows to defend net neutrality

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    That phrase "lawful Internet content of their choice" is going to get twisted pretty quickly to mean any and all filtering of torrent protocols is totally legal.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Not when you consider the second clause: "Consumers are entitled to run applications and use services of their choice."

The BitTorrent protocol is completely legal, and therefore cannot be filtered.
    edited August 2009
    They can only use services of their choice when it involves retrieving lawful content of their choice - and I'm betting that very quickly, there will be a blanket argument that BitTorrent downloads are all illegal.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I can definitely see it coming.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Snark,

Lets see,

Obama's DOJ head said the ridiculous fines in the recent RIAA sanctioned cases were legal, he appointed a proinant RIAA lawyer as an assistant to the attorney general, and by some estimates over seven million dollars of Obama's campaign finacing came from the entertainment industry.

Snark, before I go on, and I being a blow hard conspiracy theorist again, or are we on the same page on this one?
    edited August 2009
    Well, you're still a blowhard conspiracy theorist, but not much will ever change that. :)

I was referring more to the RIAA, MPAA, and ISP lobbyists that I believe will be making these claims, not the government itself. I hope the FCC has or is given the clout to handle these appropriately and levelheadedly, but I've just seen too many situations where lobbyists are able to bend laws and shape rulings to their whim that I see WAY too much flexibility in the wording of that first clause.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Snark,

Let the record show that you and I agree on this one.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    FCC grew a pair. Nice.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    This FCC has already been bought. Further purchases are inevitable.

-drasnor :fold:
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    What the crap, a government body actually supporting the consumer's rights on the internet? Hell must have frozen over.
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Winrar.
    edited August 2009
    Battle Chess.

I, too, can name random pieces of software!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Winrar [is you]. A meme for "win," translated: This is a good thing.
    edited August 2009
    A-ha!