GFX/HDD/Mobo Problem

edited September 2009 in Hardware
Hey all, I've come across a problem which I have no idea what could be casuing it. Help! :eek3:

Yesterday, my computer wouldnt load at all. I recognised that I had a problem when my monitor wasn't displaying anything.

I decided to take my PC apart to see if a bit of spring cleaning would do the trick. I then put everything back in and made sure that all of the connections were connected and tried again.

It didn't work.

At first, it seemed as if my HDD was dying. It was spinning but the OS wouldn't load at all. As I have 2 HDD's, I removed the other so that the main one was only connected. It still didn't load.

I then removed the GFX card and for some reason, the OS loads. I don't know why it does this because I wasn't aware that the GFX had anything to do with the HDD.
I placed the GFX card back in and once again, the OS doesn't load at all.

I hoped that it may have just been a virus that I picked up, so I wiped the HDD's clean, but the problem is still there.

I think it's pointing to a motherboard problem, but I removed the RAM, and the HDD's and trying turning the PC on, and as I expected, Beeping sounded so I'm not sure if it is a motherboard problem now.

Please help, I'm stumped as to what the problem could be and I can't really find any information regarding these types of problems. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Fonzo

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    If the OS loads without your discrete GPU, but won't load with it, it's more likely a video card issue. Try installing an inexpensive alternative to see if the OS loads; if it does, your video card is bad. If it does not, it's your motherboard.
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks, the thing that I find odd though is that I'm currently running it with an onboard GPU so it would well be the GFX card.

I'll see if I can get hold of another card and I'll report back with the findings for reference.

Thanks again.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Oh! And welcome to Icrontic. :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Fonzo wrote:
    Thanks, the thing that I find odd though is that I'm currently running it with an onboard GPU so it would well be the GFX card.

I'll see if I can get hold of another card and I'll report back with the findings for reference.

Thanks again.

If it runs OK with the onboard, then it's even more likely that its your add-on card.
  • edited September 2009
    Ok, I got hold of an older graphics card to see if the computer booted up, and it did.

Thanks a lot for the help, it was much appreciated.