BSOD and constant auto-rebooting

edited September 2009 in Hardware
Hi,

My Vista crashed this morning and after 8 hours of messing with it, I can’t seem to get it to run now.

When it starts up, the very first opening page now has groups of four thin blue lines running vertically down the screen. This happens on the Dell logo opening screen and then after the bios page loads, on the Microsoft Corporation screen.

Then the blue screen loads (I think it says something like this near the top: AGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA) and it runs something at the bottom (a 100% dump meter runs too quick for me to see what it says). It also has a different 0x0000... line in the middle. Then a page labeled Windows Error Recovery opens with two options:

1. Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)
2. Start Windows Normally

Everything up to this spot repeats if I choose option 2. Choosing option 1 leads to the Startup Repair page and that runs for about 30 minutes with a new pop-up offering me a “restore” option or a “cancel” option, neither of which do anything and so the Startup Repair window continues.

When this process completes, I am given two new options:

1. Click here for diagnostic and repair details
2. Finish

Option 1 just gives me the technical stats on everything that was checked, but I can’t seem to print or save that window. Option 2 restarts the computer. If I cancel out while it is repairing, I get access to the System Recovery Options window.

Of these options, Startup Repair is explained above. System Restore doesn’t work, I restored to four days ago. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool found no errors. I could try a Windows Complete PC Restore (2nd to last option) or the Dell Factory Image Restore (final option).

If I choose none of these and just click restart, the Windows Error Recovery window opens again with Safe Mode options, and Safe Mode works. From here, I’m just stuck since Starting Normally from here started the re-booting process all over again.

So, if anyone could help me with a fix for this, I would really appreciate it. And if I’m doomed, some advice on what hardware died, since from everything that’s happened I couldn’t tell.

Thanks,
Alfred

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Given that your PC experiences graphical corruption at all points of operation, I strongly believe your video card has jumped 6 feet under. Try replacing that and see what happens.
  • edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Given that your PC experiences graphical corruption at all points of operation, I strongly believe your video card has jumped 6 feet under. Try replacing that and see what happens.

Thanks Thrax! Took me a while to find a replacement card but once I did, that completely fixed the problem.

Thanks again for the help!!

Alfred