Fraudload has turned windows to jelly!

OperatorOperator England
edited September 2009 in Spyware & Virus Removal
Hi guys,

I recently contracted a serious problem. Whatever it is, it means business.

The first sign of the problem was when I started getting popups for a anti virus product. I had some dodgy looking red security sheilds in my taskbar, about three alltogether. Everytime I tried ending the process, another popup would come and it was trying to open iexplore.exe without my consent.
I immediately tried to scan using AVG free. No luck, clicking the scan button and nothing happened.
SpybotS&D wont open, all I can see is the Spybot process on the process list.
I cannot install Hijack this or Malwarebytes, but again the process shows on the process list.

Adaware however works (barely). I've done a full scan with it, it showed up a critical problem called Fraudload. A quick google shows that my symtoms are consistant with typical Fraudload behaviour.
After adaware reportedely removed this Fraudload trojan, I restarted and explorer wont show. I can run Task manager, but when i try to run explorer.exe, it comes up with the error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file".
The exact same happens in safe mode.

I have tried "sfc /scannow" with my installation disk, but it just hangs on me.
I have tried some antivirus distros on hirens boot cd and ultimate boot cd and if they dont crash, they return nothing.

I have tried almost everything i can think of and am thinking about reinstalling windows, sometimes you just have to give in.
Could anyone point me to some new options for me?

HP dv1225
Windows xp pro sp3
Celeron 1.6Ghz
1280 Mb ram
80 gb hdd

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    I'm not an expert at this, but it sounds like your OS is pretty badly borked. Reinstalling might be a good idea, if you don't mind wiping the slate clean.
  • OperatorOperator England
    edited September 2009
    I know its probably fubar, but was just wondering if there is any possible cure.
    Im so thankful I partition! Nothing major lost
  • edited September 2009
    Hi Operator,

I think you may have to start anew. I doubt that with the current state of your system we can run any tools.
  • OperatorOperator England
    edited September 2009
    Thanks chiaz, i dont like admiting defeat but at least i know ive tried everything. I realize computer professionals leave format and install as the FINAL option, i like to do the same.
    Im gonna install tinyxp v0.9 as no oem repair cd came with this laptop.
    Thanks