Intel to discontinue Core i7 920 & 940 CPUs ?

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited September 2009 in Hardware
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/05/28/intel-to-discontinue-core-i7-920-940-cpus/1

I didnt see that coming, its only rumors so far but hum, that makes sense if i was Intel and i think i don't have real compeition, i COULD do that.

And if I COULD, THEY probably WILL.

Sell i5 for a higher price than they should and discontinue any i7 option that would be a better deal at that price, so i'll sell crappier i5 that cost me less to produce.

So maybe those who are waiting for an i5 will only get an i5 for only a BIT less than a i7 cost.

Some are thinking after reading this 'man why the hell did i buy an i7', me im thinking about getting one faster before they disapear lol (since i realy need to change my rig this year)

But i still feel like i should say this if they realy do that : Screw you Intel =/

BTW : this topic could be in the news that would generate some juicy replys :P

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The Core i7 is not going anywhere. They are not canceling the 920 and 940 CPUs. The 920 and 940 use LGA1366; Core i5 uses LGA1156... They are not compatible, they are both being sold at the same time, and that rumor is completely bunk.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    Yeah i know that both of them have their own LGAxxxx and their own boards too. But since they will want Mainstream to go i5, and high-end to stay i7, the 920 could be in the same price point as the i5 counterpart, or they will want to sell the i5 the same price as the i7 920... And then who knows what Intel could do.

I hope ur right and that this is completely bunk :)
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    They're branding some of the Lynnfields as Core i7s. The terminology is confusing because there will in fact be i7s that go in 1366, and i7s that go in 1156.

Stupid naming convention, basically.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Right, but the current Nehalems are in no jeopardy of being canned.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't expect so. The key point is that since the "new" i7s go into a different socket, there wouldn't be a point in discontinuing the low-end bloomfields. They'd be losing sales in the mid-range department if they did.