DVD Drive Replacement

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited September 2009 in Hardware
I have a Toshiba Satellite P205-S6277 and the DVD drive has not been reading or writing DVDs properly for a while. I want to replace it but I have no idea what kind of drive it is and how to go about replacing it. Can anyone help me out here?

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I found a replacement part, but could only find it on one site. I've never done business with this company and cannot vouch for them. I'm providing you this link for informational purposes only.

http://product.pelltechnology.com/Toshiba_Satellite_P205-S6277_DVD_RW_Combo_Drive.asp
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    AFAIK, any slim DVD burner should fit.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Black Hawk wrote:
    AFAIK, any slim DVD burner should fit.

This is not true, best to buy the right one for the model. There are different configurations to them for every different brand. Same as almost no two laptop batteries are the same.
  • edited September 2009
    V|P wrote:
    I have a Toshiba Satellite P205-S6277 and the DVD drive has not been reading or writing DVDs properly for a while. I want to replace it but I have no idea what kind of drive it is and how to go about replacing it. Can anyone help me out here?

Did you check Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > --- IDE Channel Properties > Advanced Settings to make sure the driver is still in "Ultra DMA Mode"? (replace --- with the Channel optical disk connects to. It should be UDMA 2 most probably, hard disk is UDMA 4 or higher) I have seen many times that due to a damaged optical disk Windows switches from UDMA to PIO mode and the user thinks the optical drive is damaged. Just in case, before pulling the wallet.