Halo 3: ODST

ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
edited November 2009 in Gaming
I'm sure most of you already know that Halo 3: ODST is coming out in a couple weeks and is going to sell millions of copies. I'm not going to buy it but I think the new trailer is pretty damn cool.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Meh.

Edit: Allow me to clarify: game trailers that show no manner of gameplay do not impress me.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I actually prefer trailers without gameplay; they tend to have higher production values. Everyone has already seen a million hours of ODST gameplay, it's nice to change it up every once in a while.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm
    has not seen a million hours of gameplay
    Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    has not seen a million hours of gameplay
    edited September 2009
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    I actually prefer trailers without gameplay; they tend to have higher production values. Everyone has already seen a million hours of ODST gameplay, it's nice to change it up every once in a while.

You know what assume means...
    edited September 2009
    pigflipper wrote:
    You know what assume means...
    Something to do with you being an ass, right?

EDIT: Upon further review, I realize that could be seen as a flat out insult. Only a joke, don't hit me.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Got it. Pretty good. Short but fun.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Got it. Pretty good. Short but fun.

:banghead:
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    :banghead:

LOL! I only got it for Firefight so I could play with friends.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    so I could play with friends.
    I miss the feel of cold steel between my 3rd and 4th vertebrae :(
    edited September 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    I miss the feel of cold steel between my 3rd and 4th vertebrae :(

THIS SO MUCH.

When will you re-embrace TF2 Weezer? When will you remember your roots?

You were good at that game once, a master daresay.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    LOL! I only PAID SIXTY DOLLARS for Firefight so I could play with friends.
    fixt?
    :wtf:
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Better games have the same concept as firefight. You're only paying for the Halo title.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited September 2009
    Halo hate much?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Halo hate much?

Seriously, Bungie will milk the Halo cow until the utters fall off.

If you look at Halo, what is it really? What makes it a special series for gamers? Simply put, Halo was the first really solid console first person shooter experience. I know some people will say Goldeneye, but that game was not nearly as refined and polished as Halo, just because it could not be, as it was limited by the N64.

Now, as a long time PC gamer here is how I look at it. Saying you have the greatest console first person shooter of all time is kind of like saying you won the AA baseball championships. Your in the pros, you did good, but you have not made the big leagues yet. Thats what the Halo series is, its the greatest first person shooter series that was born on the console first. It's an achievement, I'm not knocking it, I rode shotgun in the warthog my fair share, but when you compare Halo to the rich history of shooters available on PC, its a just good title instead of anything extraordinarily special.

If you limit the argument to consoles (why?!) then Halo shines.
    edited September 2009
    Grimnoc is acting a troll - he dislikes the series just as much as the next PC gamer (because he IS a PC gamer cough cough)

OK, dislike is probably a harsh word. He'd tell you he doesn't care either way, probably.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    So expensive!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Why are we shooting at people while doing a High Altitude Low Opening jump?
  • l3it3rl3it3r Fairfax County Member
    edited September 2009
    Seriously, Bungie will milk the Halo cow until the utters fall off.

If you look at Halo, what is it really? What makes it a special series for gamers? Simply put, Halo was the first really solid console first person shooter experience. I know some people will say Goldeneye, but that game was not nearly as refined and polished as Halo, just because it could not be, as it was limited by the N64.

Now, as a long time PC gamer here is how I look at it. Saying you have the greatest console first person shooter of all time is kind of like saying you won the AA baseball championships. Your in the pros, you did good, but you have not made the big leagues yet. Thats what the Halo series is, its the greatest first person shooter series that was born on the console first. It's an achievement, I'm not knocking it, I rode shotgun in the warthog my fair share, but when you compare Halo to the rich history of shooters available on PC, its a just good title instead of anything extraordinarily special.

If you limit the argument to consoles (why?!) then Halo shines.

Halo as a whole (consoles or PC) is crap IMO. There are MUCH better FPS games on consoles (look at COD, Killzone 2, etc) and games twice as old on the PC that make Halo look like the dog poo I feel that it is. Sure, the original Halo was GREAT because everyone could network their xboxes together at the dorms and barracks (I was active duty Army at the time) and beat the crap out of each other, but in the end, it's a sub-par shooter with a crap story and HORRIBLE POV angles.. seriously.. who really likes playing games that are rendered at such horrible resolutions with such a narrow POV?! I can't stand WATCHING it let alone playing it..

Yes, I'm hating and ranting on Halo. :vimp:

Oh, and Goldeneye WAS fantastic for its time. 4 player matches for days!!
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I agree, I find the whole Halo series to be really simple, with no real strategy needed besides camping and punching. It's one of those games that if someone claims to be a hardcore gamer and cites their favorite game as Halo 3, then I can't help but laugh.

@l3it3r Field Of Vision != Point Of View
    edited September 2009
    lul somebody calling KZ2 a good FPS
    edited September 2009
    I enjoyed the first one as a shooter but not as an FPS
  • l3it3rl3it3r Fairfax County Member
    edited September 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    lul somebody calling KZ2 a good FPS

But it was!! Did you play through it? .... In one sitting? :bigggrin:

Gate28 wrote:

@l3it3r Field Of Vision != Point Of View

Thank you - that's what I meant, was in a food coma when I typed that :)
    edited September 2009
    Bought it used, played it, returned it same day. KZ2 IS Halo for the PS3 - just with shinier armor.

To say it's anything but is a disservice to the other legitimately good games the PS3 has (even though those are few and far between).
    edited October 2009
    Haters.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2009
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Still to much.
    edited October 2009
    My 36 is busy holding down the box it came in.
  • karmicRetributekarmicRetribute Aghadrumsee, Fermanagh, Ireland!!!!
    edited November 2009
    I have an undying oath to halo, and it is simply for one reason, I'm quite young and the first time I really played any game in depth was Halo: Combat Evolved on my Xbox Oringinal. As you have all rightly said it was a milestone in FPS and in my opinion the best of that generation of consoles, however that's not why I love it, I love it because I played it every weekend co-op with my best mate. I want you all to remember the first game you truly loved and imagine playing it in 48 hour sessions with your best friend. Simplier times, nothing has ever come close, including Halo 3: ODST, alothough this is now my replacement game. Same friend, same 2 day sessions, but it's now spent beating our current highscore on firefight. But your earliest memories are your fondest.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited November 2009
    For the record, I love it and it's totally worth the price for me. Magnificent extension to the Halo canon, the campaign is short but the best of the series and Firefight is a blast. So over priced though, I think $40 would have been appropriate.