Looking for opinions: HDTV as PC screen

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited September 2009 in Hardware
Looking for opinions on using a 1080p HDTV as a computer screen for gaming, media, etc. It's something I've considered in the back of my head for quite some time, and I'm curious what the community's opinion on it is.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I choose OPTION NUMBER FIVE.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Lol. Fair enough.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I'm using one right now. Other than wishing it could sit a bit further back on my desk (shelves are in the way). it works great. Picture is fine, and I can hook other stuff up to it much easier than I can a PC monitor. I have my PS2 hooked up to it presently.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    It's a bad idea, imo. You get so much more resolution out of a monitor than you do out of a TV. I hated it when I did it, but YMMV.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    My neighbor in college did it. I had to work on his computer a couple times. Hated it. Wouldn't recommend it except as a secondary display for kicking back and watching video.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I have a 40" 1080p lcd on order right now with plans to use it for my Windows 7 WMC display once DX11 video cards come out.

I'm not sure how it will work as an actual display, but that is not my primary intent either. I'm going to get a tv tuner card and between that, my DVD rips, and the hdmi output I think it will make a nice media center.

I have my parents 46" sony z series hooked up to their computer and to be honest it's kind of a pain in the ass to use seated 8 feet away. I have to set the zoom in firefox to 125-150% and other applications it's just not a whole lot of fun.

If you are going to use the tv for media center and gaming, than that sounds awesome, if you have plans of internet, email, and office I think you will be disappointed. Def keep an actual monitor. I have a 24" 1920*1200 display wall mounted at my desk, and the tv is going on the wall my bed faces. It's gonna be a sweet college room setup. I'll have to post pictures once everything gets here. Sorry for the thread jack.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited September 2009
    I have several clients who are really proud of their HDTV on the wall with their computer hooked up to it. I'm always polite and make a fuss about how wonderful it is....but it sucks. All of them. Fuzzy, grainy, and most of them have them on the wall and my neck hurts from bending up to the wall.

Get a real monitor.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Oblivion... Fallout 3... Need For Speed... All wicked on the 56" DLP
    Peeps hide behind the couch with FEAR & FEAR 2 :)
    edited September 2009
    mk, the general opinion seems to be that it doesn't work too well. Since my current TV is both really small and really old, I'm still going to be looking into a new one, but that will change what I'm looking for a decent bit. I don't think there's any requirement to have a 1080p TV unless you have a blu-ray player. If all I'll be using it for is movies / television, 720p should fit the bill just fine.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    If you plan on using the TV for a while I would still look at 1080P. Blu-ray WILL come down in price and 1080P content WILL become more widely available. If you're looking at getting a large TV I think it looks considerably better too. 1080P is rapidly becoming the standard and the price differences are becoming smaller and smaller.

I do think you should get a real monitor though.
    edited September 2009
    I already have a real monitor. I was considering the possible merits of an HDTV as a gaming screen.

Currently, I game on an LG W2242TQ, which is a 22" 1680x1050 LCD with dynamic contrast rated at 8000:1 and 2ms response time. I know, the purists are going to tell me "it's not a Syncmaster", but it was purchased for the price. This monitor cost me less than most 5ms LCDs of the same size would have.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    If a tv is good enough to console game on it will be good enough to plug a computer into it. They all send the same signal one you are using hdmi/dvi. And btw, 8000:1 contrast is not happening. You are more than likely seeing 800:1-1200:1 real ratios and a response time that is much slower.

I don't see why everyone is throwing a hissy fit, obviously these TVs aren't meant to be sat 2 feet away from, and a 'monitor' has a much higher pixel density, but other than that the technology is the same.

If you want a big monitor to game on or watch movies the that sounds good.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, if all you want to do is sit far away from it and game or watch movies. If you want to do anything else remotely like using a computer with it, you'll be disappointed. It's HUGE and nasty.
    edited September 2009
    I don't know about the whole dynamic contrast thing, but I can see a difference between this screen and my old 5ms LCD in terms of ghosting. On my old one, if I swung the camera around in a game fast enough I could catch some ghosting. On this LCD, I haven't noticed any.
  • GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I'm currently using a 42 inch 1080p hdtv with my core i7 rig. Crysis on ultra high on my TV is stunning. I love mine, that's all I have to say.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    If you're going to be sitting 10+ feet away at ALL times, I suppose an HDTV would be alright. But otherwise, I agree with Snark and a few others here. I game on a 23" with a higher res than just about any HDTV and it's fucking glorious.
  • stonersldstonersld sheffield
    edited September 2009
    well im using a 32 samsung fantastic for games its running in 1080p couldent want anything better and it was only £300 from macro hope this helps
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I had played with this last winter after I built my HTPC. Windows graphics were poor on a 52" 1080P screen while movies, games, photos and even office apps looked fine. My conclusion is that a 32" 1080P to 40" 1080P screen would be just fine. if you can't sit more than 5 feet away a 32" 1080P would be just fine.