is my motherboard broke?

edited September 2009 in Hardware
hello,
I have just brought a cpu cooler for my computer (its a Zalman CNPS9300 AT)
i had installed it into my pc when to start it up but nothing other than the lights come on, the fans spin and the hard drive spins.
but nothing comes up on the screen,
you are all maybe going to say try another graphics card or another screen, try another vga wire. i've done all that.
i have no idea at all what it could be i've tried 3 graphics cards, 2 wires and 2 screens.

yesterday it did start up and then boot into windows but then locked up, then i kept trying, but no luck
this morning it turned it on and it did boot into windows and stayed on,
i thought i fixed it so i restarted it, just to make sure but it stopped working after than.

does anyone have any ideas?

sorry for the essay but i cant live without my games :)

craig

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I would remove the heatsink and reinstall. Before reinstalling, check the backplate if it is aligned correctly and your cpu seats straight on the socket. If these do not work, I would try the original cooler. If the computer works with the old cooler, I think the motherboard has loose solder connection under the CPU socket which works only at a certain pressure of the cooler.

I had the above problem I described with a MSI Socket 939 motherboard. I had to change the motherboard to fix that problem. Good luck!

PS: By the way, you installed the backplate with the new Zalman cooler, right? I can not imagine how it can be installed without the backplate but just wanted to make sure :)
  • edited September 2009
    thanks for replying to this, it was the pressure,
    i put the cooler on wrong because of the instructions i put both of the things to secure it down with instead of just 1, quite confusing,
    and yep i put the back plate on, it would not be able to go on with out it :)

thanks
  • edited September 2009
    I am glad it is working now. Keep in mind that the socket might still be damaged and works under a certain pressure. Handle the heatsink carefully from now on. I would also do stability test using Prime95.