WoW Web Effect

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Internet & Media
On the Armory website for WoW they have the mouse over effect that is identical to the one in game. What technique is used for this?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    CSS+Javascript.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Just for clarification, you mean Java and not Javascript?
    edited September 2009
    Javascript. :)
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    With CSS, Javascript and some Ajax its AMAZING what you can do :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    GooD wrote:
    With CSS, Javascript and some Ajax its AMAZING what you can do :)
    I'm sorry for being nitpicky here but you're listing ajax as if it's a programming language. It stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML, your statement is redundant. /nitpick
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, but since you can do simple javascript without doing Ajax, i like to stand it apart.

In exemple : At work i've done several web application with javascript but without doing any Ajax. And i've done some others with Ajax on almost every page.

But yeah, you're right, some might think its redundant ;)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Since you can't have AJAX without javascript though, listing both javascript and AJAX is redundant. Regardless, we're arguing semantics now.

To get back on topic though, at least some of the effects like this can be achieved without javascript, simply using some creative CSS/XHTML. I'm not sure if the mouseover stuff can but I know you can do things like opening a lightbox type window when you click on something using no javascript at all.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    As I would imagine though the effects without JS would be harder to control cross browser?
    edited September 2009
    Naturally. You'd be at the mercy of CSS rendering.