8800GT video error won't let system boot

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited November 2009 in Hardware
I have a Zotac 8800GT that acts up during system boot which gives a 1 long and 3 short beep code error signifying video error. I have reseated the card a number of times and that never seems to resolve the issue. If I put it in another PC, it may work flawlessly. I have tried this card in 4 PC's here at home and half of them won't boot when this card is installed. However, I can put in another 8800GT or GTS card and these systems boot and run fine. It's just this Zotac that is acting snotty. Any ideas on what I can try to troubleshoot this booger? BTW, all the PC's I have tried this card in have strong power supplies which power other 8800's, a 9800GTX and a GTX 260 without issue. Thanks!

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like a dead or dying card, to be honest... the fact that you get similar problems in more than one PC suggests that it is not in good working order. I'd RMA it if you still can, but based on the age of the card, I imagine that likely isn't possible.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I RMA'd the card. My concern is that once Zotac tries the card in their test bed, it may well work like it should just like it did on half of my PC's. We'll see.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Good luck with it. Reasonably, a card that produces sporadic errors must have some source of the errors in its hardware. One can only hope their testing procedures are rigorous and/or lucky enough to find it.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Just to close this out: Zotac replaced my 8800GT with a GTS 250. All is well again.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    That was nice of them :) that 250 is slightly a better card :)