printer problems

edited September 2009 in Hardware
Hi Guys. I am running a hp deskjet 2180 printer. suddenly of its own accord it starts sending all print requeststo "my documents" and filing them. any suggestions how I might correct this. please keep them simple as I am an old codger.!!

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2009
    Hi there,

Welcome to IC. I dont quite understand the problem the you are having. Could you please talk us through the problem in a bit more detail. It sounds like you are printing to file with either a PDF writer or MS Document writer.
  • edited September 2009
    RichD wrote:
    Hi there,

Welcome to IC. I dont quite understand the problem the you are having. Could you please talk us through the problem in a bit more detail. It sounds like you are printing to file withch either a PDF writer or MS Document writer.
    Hi Rich. As stated I have a hp deskjet F2180 printer. when I first had it six months ago it printed perfectly. Now, however, when I print from word or xl everthing is fine. But when I try to print say an e-mail or anything off the net. The printer sends it to my documents where it is stored in monochrome. When I then print it from my docs it shows as "print photo" and it prints in black and white.Hope you can help.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited September 2009
    Try making sure your HP Deskjet F2180 is set as the default printer.

1. Click the "Start" button, highlight "Settings", and click on "Control Panel".
    2. Double click "Printers and Faxes".
    3. Right click on the icon for your HP Deskjet F2180 Printer and click "Set as Default Printer".

Give that a shot and see if that helps.

Norge
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2009
    I did wonder about that but the default printer will apply to all software. If you had document writer as the default then every time you print from Word or Excel you would have to select the printer.

When you are trying to print an email and you open the print box can you see the printer in the drop down box?

What web browser are you using and what software are you using for emails? It may be that you need to update your printer driver.

Click here , select your Operating system (Vista, XP etc) then download and install the driver. When you get to the end of the installer make sure you set the printer as the default.
  • edited September 2009
    RichD wrote:
    I did wonder about that but the default printer will apply to all software. If you had document writer as the default then every time you print from Word or Excel you would have to select the printer.

When you are trying to print an email and you open the print box can you see the printer in the drop down box?

What web browser are you using and what software are you using for emails? It may be that you need to update your printer driver.

Click here , select your Operating system (Vista, XP etc) then download and install the driver. When you get to the end of the installer make sure you set the printer as the default.

Brilliant Rich! Thanks a million. Fault was in the drop down box. didn't show printer. Corrected that and everything is cool. I appreciate your valuable help. I am 70 years old and trying hard to get my head round modern technology!!!!
  • edited September 2009
    Norge wrote:
    Try making sure your HP Deskjet F2180 is set as the default printer.

1. Click the "Start" button, highlight "Settings", and click on "Control Panel".
    2. Double click "Printers and Faxes".
    3. Right click on the icon for your HP Deskjet F2180 Printer and click "Set as Default Printer".

Give that a shot and see if that helps.

Norge

Norge! Thanks for your help. It was appreciated. The fault was in the print drop down box. Thanks a lot for your valuable help.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited September 2009
    No problem,

Thats what we are here for. Every piece of hardware has a driver (piece of software that tells windows how the hardware works) associated with it so if you ever have a hardware issue its worth checking that you have the latest driver. I suspect you are using a a browser and email client that wasn't supported by your old printer driver hence why it did not apear in the drop down.

by updating to the newest driver that browser is now supported so the printer appears.