FCC makes good on promise to pursue net neutrality

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Perhaps other nations will find inspiration in this and adopt similar policies. As one who suffers under bandwidth rationing and arbitrary throttling of speeds I hope this will be the beginning of the end of such practices.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Three cheers for common sense!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    'Open internet' rules criticised
    Mobile providers have argued that US proposals to ensure that all traffic on the internet is treated equally should not be applied to wireless traffic.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) wants rules to prevent providers blocking or slowing down bandwidth-heavy usage such as streaming video.

Providers claim a two-tiered system is essential for the future vitality of the net.

Mobile operators said any regulation would damage innovation.

FCC chairman Julius Genachowski said doing nothing was not an option.

Continued
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I hope the ghost of Carterphone past jumps up and kicks all mobile carriers in the junk.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I hope the ghost of Carterphone past jumps up and kicks all mobile carriers in the junk.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Also:
    BBC wrote:
    Verizon, the nation's biggest cellphone operator, said it believed the FCC had no reason to impose "a new set of regulations that will limit customer choices...

How exactly will providing for an open internet, where nobody can restrict anything, LIMIT CUSTOMER CHOICES? It does nothing but PROVIDE choice! Now nobody can say "we have the fastest connections to ComedyCentral.com and Disney!" - everybody's exactly the same, nobody can get an advantage based on content or speed, and the consumer gets to choose based on REAL factors - like price, or customer service.

Get the fuck out of here, Verizon.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Snark,

I find it unusually satisfying that we have found at least one issue that we totally agree on.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Three cheers for common sense!
    poolsie.jpg
    That's all I have to say about common sense.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited September 2009
    Ahh Deadpool. The best of the super heroes