Speeding up Your Computer

edited September 2009 in Hardware
This is a short guide that will walk you through a couple steps that will help speed up your computer.

1. Startup Processes

* Go to: Start>Run>Type "msconfig"(without the quotes)
* Go to the Startup Tab
* Uncheck any processes you don't use at startup(e.x. Quicktime, AIM, MSN)
* Click Apply then Restart

2. CCleaner
CCleaner is a great little application that deletes cookies, clears cache, empties your recycle bin, etc.

* Download CCleaner(from google)
* Iinstall CCleaner then Run Cleaner it(note: This will clear your cookies which means your saved passwords and usernames will be gone)
* Go to the Registry tab and Scan for Issues
{*]After its finished scanning click>Fix selected issues...>Fix All Selected Issues>Ok. Continue this process until scanning brings about no issues.

3. Bootvis.exe

* Download bootvis.exe(from google)
* Install bootvis.exe
* In the toolbar go to Trace>Optimize System. The system will reboot after 10 seconds.

Comments

• FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited September 2009
    Nice guide thanks.

What exactly does Bootvix.exe do? Doesn't seem to explain what it clears up.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Bootvis tries to understand what drivers and applications need to be loaded every time the system boots. Then it rearranges the order they launch and where they preside on the hard drive.
    edited September 2009
    QCH wrote:
    Bootvis tries to understand what drivers and applications need to be loaded every time the system boots. Then it rearranges the order they launch and where they preside on the hard drive.

Oh, that's pretty cool.. Thanks very much :)
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    does Bootvis.exe will works with win7 ?

Seems like its XP Only from what i read.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I've never tried it with Vista or Win7... it might well bork them. WinXP it COULD speed up boot times by 50%. I've taken systems with a 35 second boot and make them 16 seconds...
    edited September 2009
    That's good going QCH, but yeah.. Might want to wait until they specify a new Vista / 7 release.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    I'll wait :P

Nice guide tho :)