event feedback requested

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Community
I would love to hear from my fellow Icrontians on this year's minor events we have had, and what you would like to have next year. The official events are excluded of course, as they are now Icrontic Tradition.

Summary of 2009 minor events:
- Winter Blast
- Valentines’ Day Movie Marathon
- Fourth of July
- Missouri Lake Party
- Icrontic Camping
- Labor Day
- Icrontic Goes Renaissance

I have a dream to have more Icrontic events in 2010, in more locations around the U.S. and world. We are everywhere, and EVERY Icrontic event brings new people to the Icrontic family.

So, talk to me people. Let me hear your thoughts. Don't be afraid to add a NEW event for me to ponder :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Yes official:
    Winter Blast
    Labor Day
    IC Ren

No official:
    VDay Movie Marathon
    Lake Party
    Camping
    July 4
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    IC ren Yes, Even tho I was just there for the BBQ its a yes
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Winter Blast isn't "official" but Summer Shindig is? :p

Having side trips to other cities is great as long as someone is hosting :D Hotel rooms are a deal-breaker for most, I think.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    Winter Blast isn't "official" but Summer Shindig is? :p

All official events right now are based around an 'event' going on in the Detroit area or a holiday.

St. Patty's - well cause its frickin St. Patty's
    Expo - tradition
    Shindig - Dreamcruise
    Oktoberfest - All Hallow's Ale

Winterblast was just a bunch of guys who happen to be in the area that weekend. I have no issues with making it an official event, and hence why I asked for feedback.

I really want to expand to beyond ICHQ only official events. Like say St. Patty's in Boston.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    oooo I am in for st pattys in boston! I know it was thrown around in a convo at IC renfest but I am so in!
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    St.Patty's in Boston - I think this place is turning into the Make a Wish Foundation and I'm the dying child!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    I really want to expand to beyond ICHQ only official events.
    Though this is the opposite of how it's been working naturally for the past year. ;)
    edited September 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    Though this is how it's been working naturally for the past year. ;)

right, what he said. ;)
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Would be awesome if someone was able to host an event further west than the great planes.
    edited September 2009
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Would be awesome if someone was able to host an event further west than the great planes.

are you volunteering, or complaining? ;D
    edited September 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    are you volunteering, or complaining? ;D

Neither, suggesting. San Diego is not ideal - its in the corner of the map and is expensive to fly in to.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Neither, suggesting. San Diego is not ideal - its in the corner of the map and is expensive to fly in to.

i volunteer GHoosdum!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    poofie wrote:
    i volunteer GHoosdum!

Ive never been to Cali. But give my bank account a few months to recover from ICRen.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Cali is a slice of wonderful.

Ghoosdum's place is awesome, but if we threw an IC bash and they hosted, there's no way we'd get more than 6 or 7 people in their place. Tough, I guess if we crammed together we could manage someway, but it wouldn't be pleasant.

We cut it close with just the three of us during E3.

My input

Yes:
    Winter Blast
    IC Renaissance

No:
    VDay Movie Marathon
    Lake Party
    Camping
    July 4
    Labor Day

lake/camping are awesome ideas and definitely something that should keep going, but until they grow I guess calling it official isn't in the cards yet. I dunno. I didn't get to go, so hard to say.

I put Labor Day in no because I can't go :P Actually though, I feel like it's too short an even to warrant official-ness. I could be crazy.

Though I can't guarantee attendance to Winter Blast every year, it is nice having a small get-together that bridges the gap between Oktoberfest and ICSP.
    edited September 2009
    Just in case anyone was confused, I'm not really looking for MORE official events, I'm looking for what people would like to have as events for next year :)
    edited September 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    ...Don't be afraid to add a NEW event for me to ponder :)
    fatcat wrote:
    I'm not really looking for MORE official events

Noted. ;)
    edited September 2009
    <3 that kenkel
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    <3 that kenkel

Since there seems to be a good mid Atlantic crew, I endorse an eventual group field trip to Camden Yards.
    edited September 2009
    Since there seems to be a good mid Atlantic crew, I endorse an eventual group field trip to Camden Yards.

I don't know a single Icrontian living in the mid Atlantic Cliff, and are you talking North Atlantic or South Atlantic ocean?...little help here?

:bigggrin:
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    a trip to see dem O's, hon, would be a lovely way to spend an afternoon or evening. and Geppi's is right around there, which is something you NERDS might like to visit.

http://www.geppismuseum.com/
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    poofie wrote:
    a trip to see dem O's, hon, would be a lovely way to spend an afternoon or evening. and Geppi's is right around there, which is something you NERDS might like to visit.

http://www.geppismuseum.com/

Win!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I would totally host an event... but Lynx is right, space here would be tight for more than 5 or 6 people... but come on out! It's got to be better than 5 guys in a hotel room the size of a closet!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I would totally host an event... but Lynx is right, space here would be tight for more than 5 or 6 people... but come on out! It's got to be better than 5 guys in a hotel room the size of a closet!

TRUE BEYOND WORDS.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Let's just keep everything! :D
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    When I first started looking at houses I was planning on trying to put together an IC Lansing LAN party. I'm not sure how plausible that will be now as the house I'm buying is a bit smallish.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Do it anyway.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I'll look into putting it together as soon as I finish wiring the house for CAT6. That's one of the first projects I plan to do after I move in.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I think it would be fun to host an event sometime in Grand Rapids. My place is currently too small to host more than a few people. Depending on what happens in the near future when Andrew graduates and hopefully gets a nice job... we might eventually have more room for people to crash out here. Hotels aren't too expensive out here either. Grand Rapids is only about 30-40 minutes from Lake Michigan (awesome beaches), and we have some fun events here with some good fireworks. I like our downtown area. Would be fun to bar-hop out here, and there's also a cool place really close to my apartment with cheap drinks.

But if anyone wants to come out to GR and visit, I have ample living room space, and you are welcome to visit! :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    P.S. The city bus runs downtown from my apartment as well, and would be easy transportation without having to drive and park (although parking in our downtown isn't too difficult).