Stuck with "Security Tool"

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Spyware & Virus Removal
I've got a trojan horse on my system called "Security Tool". I'm not sure where it came from, as 'm a safe browser, but it's here, and most of my normal cleaning tools are not working.

It wont let me run most programs. This browser seems to be one of the few programs that it lets through. I tried using Unlocker to just delete the program files, but it even stopped Unlocker from running.

I googled the problem, and fount this page, which suggests using malwarebytes, but this must be a new version of "Security Tool, as it wont allow me to run the setup EXE for MalwareBytes either.

Any help?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Nevermind, I got it. If anyone else has a problem with this program, it's as easy as deleting the program files from safemode.
  • edited October 2009
    CB wrote:
    Nevermind, I got it. If anyone else has a problem with this program, it's as easy as deleting the program files from safemode.
    I have the same problem now!
    How do I go into safe mode and what do I do to take this thing off my computer?
    edited October 2009
    Go into safe-mode by restarting, and holding down F2 as windows starts to load.

Once in safe-mode look at the short-cut that Securty Tool created (right-click, properties) to figure out what directory it created for itself (it's random).

Then go to that directory and delete all the files.

On a side note: Do you know which website you got it from? I had just opened about ten new tabs at once when it showed up, but they were all sites that I visit everyday, and I didn't give permission to anything. One of my regularly visited sites has some bad banner ads, but I have no way of knowing which one now.
  • edited October 2009
    The last thing I downloaded before I got the "security tool" was this download,
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=22ec8067c51c9542b64026cfc061123694ad33d74f146289c95965eaa7bc68bc

I don't know for sure if that is what gave it to me but I think it is
  • edited October 2009
    I right clicked the "Security Tool" Icon and I selected "Open File Locations" then I deleted the 3 files that it were in that file, then I proceeded to delete the file itself as well, which was labeled 935345435 or something along those numbers. but I did it after I got out of safe mode. does it matter which mode I deleted it in?
    edited October 2009
    If that fixed it, then no.
  • edited October 2009
    Well it's still a bit slower than before i got the virus.
    I mean, it wouldn't hurt to have someone look over it to see if anything is wrong right?
    edited October 2009
    Certainly not. If you start a new thread here, with a hijackthis log, the guys can help you see if anything else is wrong.
    edited October 2009
    You know what? Something is definitely still wrong with my system as well. It doesn't seem slow, but it's not letting me install Malwarebytes, which is very suspicious.
  • edited October 2009
    CB wrote:
    You know what? Something is definitely still wrong with my system as well. It doesn't seem slow, but it's not letting me install Malwarebytes, which is very suspicious.
    YEAH! ya see!? O_o
    something suspicious is going on...⌐_⌐
    edited October 2009
    I'm having a bunch of other issues now to with pop-ups and slow-downs and other fishy stuff. It may be time for a reformat.
  • edited October 2009
    What is reformatting exactly? o.o
    I never quite understood it.
    Is it basically resetting your computer to the way it was when you first bought it, which in turn, deletes everything you've saved, downloaded, and installed?

and is it simple enough for me to learn how to do it also?
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that's basically it. Get everything irreplaceable off of your system, then put in your windows install disk, and tell it to delete your Windows partition before installing fresh.