V Sync issues in Windows 7 when gaming

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Hardware
Still waiting for the OEM of W7 to hit the shelves, in the time being, I'm running build 7100 of W7 ultimate 64bit.
I've got Saints Row 2 installed and when playing, the screen gets a black bar that goes from the bottom to the top over and over again. I have dual monitors on my system and it only happens in the game window, not the secondary display.
To fix it, I've gone into the display settings and toggle vsync. If it's on, I turn it off and the problem goes away for 5 or 10 minutes, if it's off, I turn it on and it goes away for 5 or 10 minutes.
I've got the September 11th version of the ATI catalyst drivers installed, which as of right now are the newest. It's running off my Radeon 4870x2.

Any ideas on where to start? I'm kind of thinking it's just a bug with the RC and I'll just have to deal with it for another couple of weeks till I can buy the final.

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    This sounds more like a glitch in the ATI drivers. I remember experiencing a similar effect under Windows Vista using two Radeon HD4850s in crossfirex, and playing Bioshock with vsync disabled. My theory is that when the framerate gets too high, that glitch begins to happen, particularly in areas that are dark or have randomly-phasing lights in-game.

You could try setting Catalyst AI to Disabled in control center, and see if the problem disappears or at least gets somewhat better. Disabling catalyst AI causes an x2 graphics card to render using only its primary core, effectively disabling the "crossfire" configuration present on your graphics card.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    That did it!

Thank you so much.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    You're welcome. :)

Just remember to turn Catalyst AI back on when you want to play other games to take advantage of the second GPU core.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    It's weird that I've had to turn this off now. I played SR2 before with it enabled, but under Windows Vista x64, never had a single issue with it. It's only been with W7 that the issue came up.