Antialiasing Problems in World Of Warcraft

edited October 2009 in Hardware
I recently bought a new computer since my other one was having major issues ( just ask Thrax LOL!)

Here are the specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001) 32-bit
System Model: Acer Aspire M5100 R02-B3
Board: Acer F690GVM
Bus Clock: 199 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD R02-B3 03/21/2008
Processor: 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Display

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT[Display adapter]
Display Memory: 1781 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1013 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Not sure what else you need.

My problem is all these "jaggies" in the game. My other computer was originally using an 800x600 monitor and an NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB card (which ended up dying), and I had no antialiasing problems. But now that I have a larger monitor..and what seems to me a better video card, I am having these graphics issues. I tried lowering the rsolution in-game but that just made everything all distorted.

This computer I have now came with an onboard ATI Radeon x1200 card. From what I gather it's obsolete now since it isn't even listed anywhere on ATI's site. I tried running the game using just the onboard ATI and my framerates were horrible, but as soon as I put in the GeForce card, my game ran beautifully..just the issue of "jaggies" still persisted.

I posted this probem on the ATI forum and was told it's because the ATI drivers are still present..although I don't see them listed in the Add/Remove programs, and to uninstall the Cataylst Control Center,since I was getting this error every time my PC booted up:

"The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager"

But in my opinion, this shouldn't be the case since I was having this problem on the other computer which just had the GeForce card. The "jaggies" seem to appear after changing monitors.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, in the "Global Settings" tab, I see "anisotropic filtering" which is set to "application-controlled". Antialiasing Mode is also set to Application controlled; Antialising-Transparency is set to "Off"; and "Antialiasing-Setting" is also "application-controlled", but is greyed out so I can't change it. I never had to mess with these settings in the other PC.

It's not a huge deal really, my game still runs fun, it's just extremely annoying and hard on the eyes. I'd like to get it resolved somehow though ><

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Download and run this program: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Use it to remove all traces of ATI drivers on your system, because that is definitely causing problems. Do this by selecting "ATI - Display" in the program, then hitting the "clean" button. Reboot the PC after that finishes.

Once you've done that, go into WoW and enable AA by selecting the option you see in the following image:

afiw0.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    Ok, before I go ahead and do that just a couple questions.

I have never used a driver sweeper..will it sweep my nvidia drivers too?

Also, looking at your screens shot..when I go into video settings in game, the screen looks nothing like that lol! The resolution and effects are on separate screens, I don't have nearly as many options in multisampling pull-down menu and no anisoptropic option..among other things:

WoWScrnShot_100809_152608.jpg

WoWScrnShot_100809_152554.jpg
    edited October 2009
    1) The sweeper will remove just the ATI drivers. Just make sure you select "ATI - Display" in the program before you hit clean, and leave everything else unchecked.

2) My screenshot is from an older version of WoW. In your screenshot, just select "24-bit color 24-bit depth 8x multisample" to enable anti-aliasing. As an added bonus, set "texture filtering" to high to finish it all off. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Okie dokie :) One more question :p

Should I uninstall the ATI Catalyst Install Manager (the only evidence of ATI I see in Add/Remove Programs) first, then run DriverSweeper in safe mode? Or can I use the sweeper in normal mode?
    edited October 2009
    Sure, uninstall the ATI Cat manager first. And yes, you should run the sweeper in safe mode. I forgot to mention that.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Thrax :)

I uninstalled Catalyst, got rid of any remnants of ATI drivers. In-game, I set the multisampling and texture filtering according to your suggestions and my framerates went way down. So at the moment, I have the multisampling at 2x and texture filtering all the way down. The lines around the characters and models are much smoother now though, just the words and icons are still a little funny. I think that's just due to the monitor...sounds odd but no matter what I do those things stay the same.
    All in all, things do look better and much easier on the eyes. The way it is now I think I can live with..for now.

Thanks so much for the help :)
    edited October 2009
    The words and icons might be patched up by adjusting the resolution of the game. If your new monitor is bigger than the old 800x600 one you had, you'll have to increase the game's resolution to match, otherwise things will look distorted.
  • edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    The words and icons might be patched up by adjusting the resolution of the game. If your new monitor is bigger than the old 800x600 one you had, you'll have to increase the game's resolution to match, otherwise things will look distorted.

Yup, the resolution in-game is already set to match my monitor..1440x900. When I reduce it, yes things are distorted beyond belief but everything is smoother lol!