Please Help XP wont Install

edited October 2009 in Hardware
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9Ghz
Memory: Corsair 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB) 4G
Video: EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCIE 2.0
Antec 500w PS

I'm getting a blue screen and would not go to windows setup.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    What is the blue screen?
  • edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    What is the blue screen?

I'm in the setup screen were it load some drivers, but after that, It wont show me were I can have the drive format and install windows xp. All I get is a blue screen with this message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage.

If this is the first time you see this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps. Check for viruses on your computer and remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drove controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer."

The hard drive is brand new its WD Caviar 500G. The Bios is seeing the hard drive and cd drive and memory is showing up. I checked the bios setting, the OnChip SATA Controller is enabled, this motherboard has 5 sata ports Sata 0-4. The hd is on sata4 and the cd drive is on sata3, in bios it has 3 different sata types; Native IDE, RAID, and AHCI. Right now it is set to AHCI. I tried switching it to Native IDE but I'm still getting the same blue screen msg. Also tried switching the cables to sata0 and 1 and still getting the same msg. Am I doing something wrong here? Or the cd drive going bad?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I am guessing that you are using a SATA hard drive and not an older IDE hard drive. If this is the case you need to install a driver from a floppy after hitting F6 when prompted at the beginning of the XP install. The utility disc that came with your motherboard will have the driver on it or you can use this one from Gigabyte's site. If you do not have a floppy drive available you can make a Slipstream XP Disc as discussed in this tutorial.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You might also try checking in your BIOS to see if AHCI is enabled. Windows XP doesn't much like AHCI, you'll probably want to turn it off. This usually also has the helpful side effect of making it so the XP install doesn't need the driver disk. Very handy if you're like me and don't have a floppy drive anymore.