Data Recovery?

croc_croc_ New
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Heres the scenario:

Built new comp. Took Maxtor 160gb ata133 Drive (with 100gb of info still on it) put it in new comp. booted up. put in winxp cd. started installation. "choose drive to install" came up with 130gb of unpartitioned space. said "uh oh". exited turned comp off. put drive back in old comp. partition is gone.

It didn't format, so the data should still be there right?

Anyone know how to recover it?

Comments

• ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Contact me on ICQ or AIM.

31769399 or Thraacks.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited June 2003
    what a life saver !!! THANKS!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thrax,

Would it be possible for you to tell people what you did? I am sure this would come in handy if someone else found themselves in the same permission.

Thanks
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Don't hold out on us - many of us would like to know a little more about your method.:D

Prof

PS: If you haven't done so already, please give us your input in the โ€œUtilities Discussion โ€“ Week2โ€ thread under General Software!!! This week we are asking for your recommended programs in these categories: HD Speed benchmark, CD Drive Speed Benchmark, Video Performance benchmark:nudge:
    edited June 2003
    I actually can't tell you. Ethical fetters.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    Huh? Ethics holds you back from telling how to recover a lost partition?

Anyway . . . I don't know what Thrax told croc, but the way I've done this in the past is to use Linux. I would put in a Linux boot CD, load up fdisk (Linux fdisk, of course) and tell fdisk the size and type of the partition and whether it's primary or extended and make it bootable if need be.
    Thrax said
    I actually can't tell you. Ethical fetters.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited June 2003
    no comment. :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    The secrecy surrounding this little issue is bugging me more than anything else. I mean, it's bad enough that you won't tell the rest of us, but now you're carrying on like a couple of lodge brothers, or double-naught spies.:D

Prof

(Out of the loop again, as usual...)
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited June 2003
    *diabolical laugh*
    edited June 2003
    /likewise
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thrax,

This would be very helpful to members of the forum. I am easy, the choice to post it would be entirely your's, I am just trying to get as much information shared between visitors to this forum as possible.

-Colin
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I'm sure Thrax has a perfectly good reason why he can't disclose the information. If you are desperate to know, try shooting him a PM. But you know what they say, curiosity killed the...
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    It probably involved a transfer of an...err... "Unlimited Trial Version" of some program. :)