New HDD for Windows 7

2»

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    I don't think anyone has brought this up. You can also take a Seagate 1.5TB drive and cut it down to 300GB and make it faster than a Velociraptor.

Or you can leave it alone, keep all 1.5TB, and still have the first 300GB be "faster" than a Velociraptor.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Partition me thinks...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Indeed.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    My first post still stands. IMHO
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I kow a lot of people just HAVE to have the lastest gee-whiz technology, and these days, SSDs are it.

But the technology is too new and unproven for me. I prefer to stick with what works for me, and regular hard drives work for me (insert your jokes about my still using IE6 here). Maybe in another year or so, when SSDs come down in price and they are passing some heavy duty tests for reliability, I'll consider one.

Even if they are faster, where can they provide gains in the typical home PC? As the drive that holds the operating system, while a regular hard drive is used for storage?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Tim, your blatantly incorrect assertions about SSDs reliability and lifetime are starting to annoy just about everybody on here. A consumer SSD today will last longer than your platter-based drive will in all respects. You're just clinging to old mantras, like you always do, and it doesn't serve you well.

As for your second "point," replacing a platter drive storing the OS with an SSD storing the OS will result in significant speed gains in boot time, program launch times, OS operation, paging to disk, and a few other areas. Putting an SSD in your laptop is almost universally recognized as the best way to instantly give it a new lease on life. Since desktops are more powerful, the speed gains vary more, but it's still a significant increase in system operation speed.

tl;dr: get your facts straight before spouting off about how old school you are. It's not impressive; you look backwards and country-bumpkin when you do it.