Hiper R580 PSU remote ON override?

edited October 2009 in Hardware
I bought a HIPER R580 PSU (model HPU-4b580-mk to be more specific) several years ago when I decided to build a desktop PC. The PC is now defunct but I want to keep the two SATA HDD’s as storage on my laptop. The SATA connection side of things seems to be sorted, but I want to power them with the R580. Unfortunately the R580 seems to depend on a remote ON/OFF switch which would normally be part of the PC. I want the R580 to be able to switch on with its own switch. Can anyone advise how to do this?

Many thanks
Tim Smart

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Interesting request. Why not just get cheap external enclosures for them? USB connection + power, and you'll be done. :)

But if you want to turn the PSU on without the presence of the motherboard, you need to bend a paperclip into a "U" shape. Wrap tape around the curved end for insulation. Stick one end into the green wire on the PSU's mobo connector, and stick the other end into any black wire. You only need to connect these two wires for a second or two, then the paperclip can be removed.

Motherboards provide a feedback signal to these wires to indicate that the PSU should be started. In the absence of a motherboard, you need to simulate the feedback yourself, and that's how it's done.
  • edited October 2009
    Thrax,

You are a life saver - I was looking for a straightforward answer like that all over the www. It works perfectly. Many thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You're welcome! :)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Addendum to this, normally the paperclip has to stay in the connector, removing the paperclip shuts off the PSU again.

May not be true for all models, but 90%+ should shut off again with no paperclip.
  • edited October 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Addendum to this, normally the paperclip has to stay in the connector, removing the paperclip shuts off the PSU again.

May not be true for all models, but 90%+ should shut off again with no paperclip.
  • edited October 2009
    You're absolutely right! I have left it in and it all works perfectly. Looks a bit Heath Robinson but I now have 200+ GB of extra space free of charge!