Bluescreen of death

edited October 2009 in Hardware
Hi peep!

I bought a hp550 a year ago, and it works great, or at least worked great. Now i sometimes get a bluescreen with a series of error codes:

0x0000008E, 0x8000004, 0x806D8945, 0xA9159260, 0x00000000

I ran memtest86 and i didn't find any RAM errors (I let it ran 27 times, think it took 22 hours, I thought that would be enough.

Some guy in a thread said it might be my craphic card that's bad, a IRL friend also thought that.

The thing is that I have no idea at all how to check/fix that. But I belive you guys have. What do you think I should do?

(Btw, finaly a tech forums that seems to be filled with helpful nice peeps, and not jerks who like to brag about how good they are at the techs)

/Hitcha

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2009
    It could also be power supply or Hard disk.

Have a look for an app called Seatools You can create a bootable CD like you did with memtest. That will check your HD.

You can test your Power supply with a digital Multimeter.

The only way I know of testing a GPU is to swap it out for a spare. If you dont have a spare it may be difficult to test.

Have you added any new hardware lately?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2009
    I have just found your posts in the other thread.

What graphics card do you have?

If you PC is a laptop you cant test your PSU.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited October 2009
    Is the box bluescreening at random or when you do something specific. There is a possibility that software is causing your problems. I'd watch the machine like a hawk for the next few days to see if there is a pattern in software usage.
  • edited October 2009
    lunchb0x wrote:
    Is the box bluescreening at random or when you do something specific. There is a possibility that software is causing your problems. I'd watch the machine like a hawk for the next few days to see if there is a pattern in software usage.

Yes and no...

It can happen when ever it feels like bluescreening. But it happens pretty frequent when I play wow. It's very wierd, I can never be in a party with more then one other player (wich makes the whole idea with wow kinda worthless), But I've reinstalled my OS a couple of times and reisntalled the game even more, both copied it from other cpus, at wich it works, and completely reinstalled it.
    But as a said, it have happened out of the game too...

Rich.
    I dun know what you wanna know about the power supply, but if I read at the "little box at the cable" it says
    input 100-240 V (I guess it's 240, since I live in sweden, and that's what we have in our net) 1.6 A, 50-60 Hz
    output 18.5 V 3.5 A

65W

And my craphics card is the default one. It might be Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100, I know it's Intel, and google told me ^^ that the hp 500 have this one.
  • edited October 2009
    Well, the only hardware I've added is my tascam us-122L, a USB audio/midi interface.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited October 2009
    If its happening when you're playing wow, I'd guess it might be the graphics card. I would try seeing if you can get another graphics card from somewhere for testing purposes. I wouldn't necessarily buy a new card until after you get a chance to test it.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2009
    unfortunately this is a laptop we are dealing with so swapping components is not a good option. Forget about the PSU for now.

Provided the information about your gpu is acurate go here and click on the button to test if your driver is up to date. If it is out of date, download and install the latest.

Also ensure that your audio interface is unplugged when you try and play to eliminate that.