Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and OCz Reaper 1066 memory, Please help match settings

edited October 2009 in Hardware
Just got done reading the following article:

http://icrontic.com/articles/why-cpu-z-doesnt-match-your-memorys-advertised-speeds

The article closes with

"You haven’t been defrauded, you haven’t been robbed, and you’re not out of luck. Consult your motherboard’s manual for guidance in setting the proper parameters, or come request help in our world-class support forums. CPU-Z will match your memory’s retail package in no time, we promise."

Give this a stab-

Relevant Specs

E8400
HIS Radeon 4850
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 Bios F9 (updated)
2x 2GB OCz Reaper Memory (OCZ2RPR10664GK)

******Able to run perfect when System Memory Multiplier (SPD) is set to 2.40B ((G)MCH Fequency Latch - 333 MHz with SPD 2.40B causes Memory Frequency to run at 800 MHz). Timing 4-4-4-12 Advanced Timing Settings (see below) are 4-4-8-54-4-2. Memory works like a charm with my board using these settings. Haven't had a crash yet.

The Problem
However, I bought the memory to run at 1066. No matter what I do, I am unable to maintain a stable system when I attempt to run at 1066. When running both sticks of memory, I can rarely obtain a few minutes of stability before a BSOD. When running one stick of memory, stability varies from a startup crash to a full day of operation. This stability is only achieved by making some tweaks in the BIOS. Obviously, this sort of stability is not acceptable and frankly, has been driving me mad. This is what I've been running when attempting to run at 1066:

**DRAM Performance Control**
Performance Enhance - Standard
Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) - Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch - Auto (333 MHz is assumed Auto setting)
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - Auto (3.20B is assumed)
Memory Frequency(Mhz) - 1066
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) - Manual
CAS Latency Time - 5
tRCD - 5
tRP - 5
tRAS - 18

Advanced Timing Controls -
tRRD - 4 (default)
tWTR - 4 (default)
tWR - 8 (default)
tRFC - 54 (Also ran at 60 and default 72)
tRTP - 4 (default)
Command Rate (CMD) - 2 (used to run with default 0)

No modification to Channel A/B Timing and Driving Settings

CPU VCore - 1.2375V (used to run at default 1.2V)
CPU Termination - 1.2V
CPU PLL - 1.5V
CPU Reference - .76V

MCH Core - 1.34V (used to run at default 1.1V)
MCH Reference - .76V
MCH/DRAM Reference - .9V
ICH I/O - 1.5V
ICH Core - 1.1V

DRAM Voltage - 2.2V (Ran at all settings between 2.1V-2.2V, default 1.8V never worked)
DRAM Termination - .9V
Channel A Reference - .9V
Channel B Reference - .9V

I've scoured forums looking for an answer but cannot get one. OCz hasn't been able to nail this down for me yet, but still hoping they can solve my dilemma. I've read in many places that the EP45-UD3P is a VERY picky Mobo when it comes to memory settings, not excluding it's compatibility with the OCz Reaper memory referenced above of which I've seen many articles. Doesn't hurt to throw my eggs in more than one basket, so what do you all think? Let me know if you need more information. Thanks so much for your support!

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Have you tried setting everything in BIOS to default, placing one stick in the slot closest to the CPU that the machine will post with, and running memtest86 on each stick to verify it works.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    I have exactly the same motherboard, and it's loaded with DDR2-1066 modules. I can honestly say they're not stable there. I think it's just a limitation of the P45 northbridge... the RAM controller cannot exceed about 950MHz without needing extra voltage. I don't really care though... Thrax has said on more than one occasion that the core 2 series gets almost nothing out of running your RAM faster on a divider, and I'm inclined to agree with him out of my own experience. I saw essentially zero benefit between running 800MHz or 1000MHz (which I did manage to stabilize).
  • edited October 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    Have you tried setting everything in BIOS to default, placing one stick in the slot closest to the CPU that the machine will post with, and running memtest86 on each stick to verify it works.

Never tried using default voltage (1.8V). I suppose I can give it a whirl, but I have to strongly express that I don't believe the issue is in the memory; I believe it's in the settings or mobo. I also don't believe it's a defective mobo. Too much literature on this board and mem stick combo regarding its finicky nature. Anyways, I'll give that a whirl just to be consistant.
  • edited October 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    I have exactly the same motherboard, and it's loaded with DDR2-1066 modules. I can honestly say they're not stable there. I think it's just a limitation of the P45 northbridge... the RAM controller cannot exceed about 950MHz without needing extra voltage. I don't really care though... Thrax has said on more than one occasion that the core 2 series gets almost nothing out of running your RAM faster on a divider, and I'm inclined to agree with him out of my own experience. I saw essentially zero benefit between running 800MHz or 1000MHz (which I did manage to stabilize).

Could you share your BIOS settings to get it to run at 1000 MHz? I'm also curious about your 800 MHz setup. Maybe I can set the timing faster?
    edited October 2009
    To be honest, I've never tried to push my ram very hard. I've always found that overclocking the FSB/CPU yields much more noticable results than making the RAM run faster on a divider. I don't recall exactly how I stabilized it at 1000MHz because it was a long while ago, but I think there was at least 1.24v going through the northbridge. Stock on the P45 NB is 1.1v.
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited October 2009
    Unless you're benching and want those last couple of FPS or points in Vantage, you'll probably never see a real-world difference going from 800 MHz to 1066 Mhz.
    edited October 2009
    Serp wrote:
    Unless you're benching and want those last couple of FPS or points in Vantage, you'll probably never see a real-world difference going from 800 MHz to 1066 Mhz.

Agreed. The whole point of purchasing DDR2-1066 RAM for me was to make sure my RAM could match the increasing FSB speed of an overclock.
    edited October 2009
    Actually unless you OC your fsb, running past 667 will never give you anything more.
  • edited October 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    Agreed. The whole point of purchasing DDR2-1066 RAM for me was to make sure my RAM could match the increasing FSB speed of an overclock.

So by having this RAM, I benefit from it by having the ability to overclock? Forgive me for my rookie knowledge, any insight?
    edited October 2009
    In my opinion. With having that RAM it allows you to run it at a lower clock with better timings and less voltage. When OCing most people like to run a 2:1 ratio, RAM:FSB, just incase the mobo doesn't like the massive clock difference between the RAM and FSB. But really running anything over 1:1 you are wasting clock cycles with the RAM and generating more heat for your proc and system.