standoffs

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I got the $90 dollar silver case from this site

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=7&manufactory=1502&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

a few months ago and i cant seem to find the plastic standoffs that u put thru the VERY corners of ur motherboard to keep it from shorting out. Does this case come with the same one, or some different type? The ones i have in my current cheap case are plastic standoffs with a wide buttom base that stick up thru the holes. I hope i didnt lose them.

Comments

• EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    That particular case comes with 'brass' stand-offs but you can use just about any type.
  • edited June 2003
    do i use the brass one at the very corners of the mobo (which are tiny holes and have no metal ring) or just the ones with the metal rings around them?
    edited June 2003
    Metal rings? I don't remember any metal rings but rather redish cardboard washers which I never use. You should have enough brass stand-offs to use in every possible location (recommended) not just the corners.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited June 2003
    By metal rings, I expect you mean round tracks in the circuit board around each mounting hole.

I don't know if the "rings are for grounding purposes, but to be safe, I always use the red insulating and have had no problems.

Like Equito, use all the mounting points that you can.

Cheers

Crypto :D
    edited June 2003
    Crypto said
    I don't know if the "rings are for grounding purposes, but to be safe, I always use the red insulating and have had no problems.
    That's exactly why I don't use the washers.
    Every hole is a grounding point and I want full contact with the "metal ring", top and bottom.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    Not all holes are grounding points. Often times, the one or two holes in the very corners are not grounding points as they are not standard ATX formfactor mounting holes. You can determine whether a mounting hole is a ground by whether or not the tin/solder/metal ring around the holes is present or not. Holes without metal rings around the edges are not grounds and should NOT come into contact with metal stand-offs; insulating material should be used. It's rather unlikely that using the metal stand-off for this corner hole is going to short anything out, but the possibility exists.

Only use metal stand-offs for holes that have metal rings around them and thus are grounds. In that case, it is important to use proper metal stand-offs that will provide a ground for the motherboard.
    edited June 2003
    Since the fall of AT, I've never used a non-ATX form factor board so I guess you're right.

Thanks for clarifying that. ;)
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    The washers are for placement onto the motherboard to "protect" it from teh heads of the screws. So if you screw them in too tight, it wont crack. I try to use them but never get enough now :/
  • OldDogOldDog Whittier,Ca.
    edited June 2003
    Most of the motherboards I've found that need standoffs to prevent shorting provide them with the board. They can, however be purchased at many electronics stores. They come in different
    heights though, so it would be a good idea to take one of the brass mounting standoffs with you for comparison.