Goin to get an SLR to learn Photography

FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
edited November 2009 in Lifestyle
Ok guy's and gal's..

I've seen some of your pics and I like them, I've always wanted to get a decent camera such as an SLR and learn how to take awesome piccies.

I've found this deal on the Jessops websites, I'm wondering if you SLR Savvy peeps can tell me if this is worth getting :)

The link is:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/73523/show.html?cm_re=091009-_-Home-_-DSLR_450d

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I have the dslr that's 2 revisions earlier than that one, and it's serving me well.

That lens is decent, a very good starter lens.

You may want to check the used market, as you may find a good deal on that camera. I can't comment on that price, because i'm not used to your funny money.

EDIT:

The only thing you may want to consider is that the 500d (T1i) can take HD video. It's not a replacement for a camcorder (it's pretty much manual focus only while recording), but it might be a nice feature to have.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited October 2009
    I did look at that one but it doesn't come with a lense bundle and the lenses are pretty expensive, i just want something to get me started.. It's a good price as a bundle as if you bought the body of the 405D alone it would be £475'ish..

My funny money eh ;)

I don't think I'd need the HD video as I don't have a HD telly and we have Sony DSC T77 which suits the purpose of point and click which has the ability for video.
    edited October 2009
    There are a large number of available lenses for that camera, costing in the range of $100 - $10k (USD). The kit lens that comes with it is on the cheaper end, but as long as you make sure it's the 18-55 WITH IS (image stabilization), it has decent optical quality.

I think that camera will suit you nicely. Could you comment on what sort of pictures you're going to be looking to take?
    edited October 2009
    I've had a nosey on ebay and can a refurbished 450D XSI for around £350 with the lens and memory card.. So once I have the cash I think I'll go for that one, looks like they have a lot of them.

I like taking closeup pictures of things and abstract type pictures that i can not achieve with a normal camera. I also like the look of the long exposure shots which make the light trails.. But all in all, I'd take pics of anything and everything..
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Allow me to be a small voice of dissent and say that if you're trying to learn photography, perhaps starting on an SLR (even a starter SLR) may not be the best way to go. You can learn fundamentals and compose fantastic images on much cheaper equipment that won't limit you in the future if you do decide you want to pursue better equipment.
    edited October 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Allow me to be a small voice of dissent and say that if you're trying to learn photography, perhaps starting on an SLR (even a starter SLR) may not be the best way to go. You can learn fundamentals and compose fantastic images on much cheaper equipment that won't limit you in the future if you do decide you want to pursue better equipment.

Suggestions welcome
    edited October 2009
    A G11 is a great piece of kit, and I used a PowerShot S3 and S5 with the two optional attachments for a while to learn the manual controls, etc. Those are a bit old now - there may be better ones out there.
  • edited October 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    A G11 is a great piece of kit, and I used a PowerShot S3 and S5 with the two optional attachments for a while to learn the manual controls, etc. Those are a bit old now - there may be better ones out there.

I have an EOS Rebel XS and I also want to buy a G11 because of the big bulk I carry around with an SLR.
    edited October 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:

Not too sure I like it, I prefer the feel of the 450D (which I've used at a recent JuJitsu tournament).. I don't mind spending some money on something that is totally worth it.
    edited October 2009
    mirage wrote:
    I have an EOS Rebel XS and I also want to buy a G11 because of the big bulk I carry around with an SLR.

Yeah the Rebel XSI is the US version of the 450D ... Same camera just a different name in that part of the world.. I really want to get it and think it's a great price at £350 refurbed with the lense and extra memory card
  • edited October 2009
    XS is little sibling of XSi and compares with 1000D
    edited October 2009
    mirage wrote:
    XS is little sibling of XSi and compares with 1000D

Ah Gotcha, I'm happy to pay £350 for an SLR considering the price of some of them.. and I know that it will serve me well for a long time to come! :)

Show me some of ya pics with your current cam, if you don't mind? :)
  • edited October 2009
    edited October 2009
    mirage wrote:

The pic links are broken mate.
  • edited October 2009
    The pic links are broken mate.
    Sorry, I hope these work.

summerz.th.jpg wallf.th.jpg afternoon.th.jpg
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I disagree with Snark; I suggest learning on an entry level SLR because those skills can carry you through an infinite range of more expensive equipment. Why get used to all the limitations of a P&S when you can just learn how to do SLR correctly the first time?

You can buy a 'starter' SLR like the Rebel series, and through lens upgrades have a truly professional camera; when you realize the limitations that the Rebel imposes on you, you'll be savvy enough to know what you want next.
    edited October 2009
    G11 gives you control over iso, aperture, shutter speed, and fits in your pocket, which should be sufficient for learning photography techniques.

However, lenses for the dslr will probably have a wider range of aperture available, allowing you to control the depth of field to a greater extent than a g11. In addition, the single lens and the smaller sensor size of the g11 will make it harder to shoot pics with a very thin depth of field - a relatively easy task with a dslr + cheap prime.

You will be able to take great pics with either. I think you might have to focus a little more on composition with the G11 as you will have a bit less control over the aperture/dof.

There are some times I'm really glad I have a dslr because of the range of photos I can take with it. However, I also wish for a G11-esque camera to take pictures of scenes that I don't have the time to tweak all the settings on my dslr.
    edited October 2009
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think a starter SLR + lenses make a professional camera, which was why I mentioned it. I'd hate, as an example, to get a starter SLR, get really good with it, and then have to spend money on a new body when I've already spent this much on the starter. You're also not going to start buying L lenses for a starter SLR, so you'll get a few regular ol' lenses to shoot around with and learn, and then you'll have to sell those to buy more again.

It seems more economical to me to learn photography on a simple camera that gives you aperture/shutter speed/ISO controls and then figure out, once you decide if you like it, exactly what body and lens system you'll be happy with for a while as opposed to buying entry-level and then stepping up to the same thing later.

Just my $0.02, though. You can take great pictures with anything, as long as you love what you're shooting.
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys, so I went with the Rebel XSi and it's on it's way.. I paid a mere £320 for it with an IS lense and 4GB SDHC card.. The camera is furbished from Canon as new so it comes with everything including strap and manuals.

I did check for the G11 on ebay and the prices I got were approx £300 so I don't think I've spent more than I would of with your suggestion.. Not sure why it was so much but it was pretty much the same price.

I'm grateful for all of your comments and I will post a few pictures for you once I have it and play about with it...

I don't know how quickly it will arrive as our Royal Mail have decided to go on strike for 48 hours lol
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You're gonna love it :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I have the same camera and love it. I think you will do well. You can set things more auto for concentrating on composition and then gradually start using more manual controls beginning with aperature control for depth of field. I also had a D40 but sigh had to sell it for some cash. I do recomend getting a decent prime lens or 2 as you can afford them.
  • edited October 2009
    Felix, enjoy your new camera. That is a real nice one
  • edited October 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    You can take great pictures with anything, as long as you love what you're shooting.
    I agree
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I just got the Rebel XS (1000D) which is very nearly the same camera, less two megapixels. I have a feeling you'll love it.
    edited October 2009
    Congrats!
    edited October 2009
    Pics or gtfo!

(either of the cam, or with the cam. Bonus points for both)
    edited October 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    Pics or gtfo!

(either of the cam, or with the cam. Bonus points for both)

I've just been informed that it has arrived.. So I will get pics up when I've played with it.. I've also got my Windows 7 to install tonight, so I'll do a double wammy and take some pics of setting up my Windows 7!! lol..

Can't wait to get playing with it.. Especially over the weekend when I have more time

One word... WOOP!
    edited October 2009
    So the camera came yesterday and I am more than impressed with it.. It was brand new and only labelled as refurbished because of the box.

I played about with it last night and I've figured out how to use all of the settings.. I'm obviously no good at it yet!!

I took some piccies of the HMS Illustrious and some of the choppers that are at the Liverpool dock (10m from where I work).

Here are my first attempts with the camera.. lol

NOTE: I have changed these images in any way yet and my kit lense cannot get close enough to do anything funky ;)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    The chopper pic looks almost hyperrealistic, as if it were rendered. So cool!
    edited October 2009
    GHoosdum wrote:
    The chopper pic looks almost hyperrealistic, as if it were rendered. So cool!

So it does!! I haven't even edited anything on it as I've got to reinstall photoshop as I've just stuck Windows 7 on my lappy