New system thanks to Thrax

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Hardware
Well I set out to update my system a few weeks ago to a new intel i7 & well I did. I sent Thrax a friendly Tweet & got a great response with links to some great hardware. It sucks not being on the forefront of what is going on these days, but it is always nice to know friends at Icrontic can always point you in the right direction.

Now just to OC the heck out of the system...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    That system won't even bat a lash at 4GHz. I'm on my phone atm, but I'll get you some settings you can use to get it there with no fuss. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Awesome.... but do take in mind I am using the stock cooler still.
    edited October 2009
    Hell, if that's the case, I would just turn the bclock (it should be labeled as such in the BIOS) up a bit to say, 150 or 166MHz and see what happens.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Did you get Windows 7 working on it?
    edited October 2009
    Yes.. did you not see my DM on Twitter?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Didn't get a DM from you. Weird.

Glad it worked!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Oh man..... :D
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Hell, if that's the case, I would just turn the bclock (it should be labeled as such in the BIOS) up a bit to say, 150 or 166MHz and see what happens.

So... I booted that number to come and find it dropped the clock rate on the CPU to 2.0GHz & the ram jumped to 1330? but when I went to reload the system kept saying missing Hard Drive can't boot into Windows.

Yeah that makes no sense...

i think having the multiplier on Auto was not what I wanted. It looks like I need 166x20 :)
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the multiplier was definitely on auto. ;D
    edited October 2009
    Yeah even manually setting it = system hanging once in Windows.
    edited October 2009
    Try 150x20. That should be safer.
    edited October 2009
    Yeah same thing happens. Boots into windows and hangs on the desktop
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I see why. It's that DDR3-1600. I thought you were running 2000 for some reason, I guess because we had talked about that. Set your memory multiplier to 10.
    edited October 2009
    With those settings the system hangs at the "Starting Windows" I went ahead and just boost the memory to the multiplier of 10 with CPU multiplier at 133 & it loads into the W7 first load screen and than hangs :(

I am quickly remembering why I stopped OC'ing...
    edited October 2009
    Well this would be a lot easier if you had a non-OEM cooler. I could tell you exactly what settings to use, and everything would be gravy. Right now we're guessing around the limitations of the OEM cooler.

Set the CPU multi to 20, memory to 10, bclock to 150MHz, set the memory timings to 8/8/8 and set the VDIMM to 1.65v.
    edited October 2009
    well... any good non OEM coolers these days that won't force me to have to pull the mobo out to put some sort of mounting bracket on the bottom. (I am getting lazy these days)
    edited October 2009
    Fist = Screen = Errrr

So still not booting past the "Starting Windows"
    edited October 2009
    Also CPU-Z is reporting the system running at X12 multiplier? wtf? I should note the CPU image is of the system running reg clocks but the Multiplier set at x20
    edited October 2009
    Disable the following:
    Turbo mode
    EIST
    SpeedStep
    C1E
    VT/Virtualization

Some may not apply here.
    edited October 2009
    Success
    edited October 2009
    There we go. :D Much better.

Unfortunately for performance heatsinks everywhere, they all require you to mount a backplate and reinstall the motherboard. There are some good choices, though:

Thermolab BARAM
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
    Prolimatech Megahalem
    Thermalright IFX-14
    OCZ Gladiator MAX
    edited October 2009
    Now to do some testing...
    edited October 2009
    Okay.. I ordered the Noctua NH-U12P SE2.. lets hope this bad boy brings the temps down a few notches...
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited October 2009
    It will, very good cooler , VERY silent. don't forget to place ur fans in pull/push position to get hot air out easily since it comes with 2 fans.

It comes with a thermal paste you should try too, i was impress :)

It's not a over-the-top-extreme-overclock-heatsink (lol) but for a good OC (~3.8Ghz) at cool temps for silence-lover its a very good choice, i got one and im very please with it so far.

The only downside is its size (with 2 fans on it its LARGE) and the color of the fans that are not for everyone ;) But if you have some light in the case the fans look much better :)
    edited October 2009
    FYI

My cpu run at 36C idle / 59C maximum temp onload at 3.8Ghz with this cooler.

at 4.0Ghz it goes up to 79C maximum temp onload.
    edited October 2009
    I don't think I will push this system to 4GHz but I will be happy to keep temps down and run it at a nice 3.6-3.8GHz.

I am not sure what issue i am running into in OC'ing it currently... it is either voltage issues or memory... maybe i can pick Thrax's & Ryder's brains for more dialed in settings.
    edited October 2009
    So after a fun install of the CPU cooler... my system under full load sits at around 49C with it peaking up to 52C but quickly dropping back. and now sits idle at 34C.
    edited October 2009
    much better temps.

you should get to 3.8Ghz very easily at ~60-65C max temp :)