HD5850. Get one.

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited December 2009 in Hardware
Ladies and gents, I give you your reason to desire an HD5850. Stock speed on this card is 725MHz core / 1000MHz mem. This OC is achieved using only the stock cooler that came with the card.

Also - sorry for ginormous image. 1080p + 1680x1050 monitors.

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Curious to know if you can run GPU2 at these speeds. I can game and stress test for days on end at ~1035/1200, but can't fold at anything higher than ~900/1100 without getting EUEs after a few units, regardless of voltage.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    I had GRID crash at 930/1225. It was the mem, I was running it too close to its critical point. Been gaming at 930/1200 for the past hour without any problems at all.

Haven't tried folding on it yet. Should be interesting.

Edit - in case you're interested mas0n - assuming you haven't found it yet
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=306903
    The BIOS is technically for MSI, but it works fine on my Gigabyte card. I'm doing my overclocking right in afterburner after flashing it.

Second edit - side note. GRID at 1080p with all graphics settings maxed is farking gorgeous.
    edited October 2009
    Extended stability found @ 930/1180. 7 hours in furmark without a crash.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't wait for mine to get here!
    edited October 2009
    You won't be disappointed, man. At my overclock I get 16k GPU points in vantage. That falls only 2k short of a GTX 295.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    But is that GTX295 OC'ed? I might have to give you a run for your money if I can :)
    edited November 2009
    Crossfire goodness.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27833&stc=1&d=1258097100

The newer card is a fantastic overclocker, too. VRAM is rock solid @ 1275MHz, which is fully 100MHz higher than my first card. Core is 2.5 hours furmark stable @ 930MHz 1.150v. First card's core can only manage 875MHz@1.150v.

This new card could easily break 1GHz with an aftermarket cooler. I can get it to 970MHz with reasonable temps on air.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    How much power does a single one use? I'm interested in buying one but I'd rather not buy another psu along with it.
    edited November 2009
    I'd say in most systems, a 450W PSU should be able to handle an HD5850, as long as you don't have a crapload of hard drives.
    edited November 2009
    Alright thanks. I currently have a 650w psu with what is most likely to be enough amperage. I see that you have the 5850 by diamond right?
    edited November 2009
    Actually, one's a Gigabyte and one's a Sapphire, but there's really no difference between them since the first wave of the cards was produced in AMD's factories.
    edited November 2009
    Oh ok. Is it somewhat quiet when idle? My current cards are so loud because they are always on 100% haha.
    edited November 2009
    The fan settings on the HD5850 are pretty conservative. Unless you use a program to set the speed manually, the cards are barely audible even under load.

They can get pretty noisy when you start having to manually increase the fan speed to overclock them, but that's not an issue if you don't overclock them.
    edited November 2009
    Wow! That's a big improvement compared to mine haha. They sound like jet's.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    FINALLY! I finally got an XFX HD5850 from newegg. Just randomly looked a few minutes ago and they were in stock for once. Probably won't be here until Monday, but finally, I will have a fully kickass system.
    edited December 2009
    pigflipper wrote:
    FINALLY! I finally got an XFX HD5850 from newegg. Just randomly looked a few minutes ago and they were in stock for once. Probably won't be here until Monday, but finally, I will have a fully kickass system.

Haha congratulations! I'm jealous :D