FCC votes to pursue US net neutrality

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• edited October 2009
    This isn't looking as great as it originally sounded.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    The wording of this bill and the exceptions are so vague, I don't know how the FCC plans to enforce any aspects of it. This is just political grandstanding. The Democrats are trying to show constituents that they did something to promote net neutrality, but they're still bowing down to the corporate lobbyists. I loathe politics.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    BTW, whatever happened to JUSTICE? I heard that the President squashed it just before announcing that he wanted to renew the Patriot Act.

It just seems like everything we supposedly voted for is dead in the wind, as far as any meaningful Telecom reform goes.
  • edited October 2009
    Vague and with no bite. All this does is make politicians look good. To my understanding ISPs are still allowed to throttle bittorrent ("Excessive amount of connections"), etc. We'll probably see encrypted content exempted ( Tor, HTTPS ) from net neutrality measures as a means to 'combat piracy' ( read 'invade privacy' )

There will be no network neutrality until the majority of internet traffic is anonymized ( My spellchecker doesn't have that word ). Solution: Join an anonymizing network and contribute resources. When the majority of legal and illegal internet traffic is sent through untraceable networks, we may have a sudden realization that 'oh, maybe we should remove regulations before we can't catch dangerous criminals because legitimate consumers decided to protect themselves from unreasonable invasion of their privacy'

• edited October 2009
    They are going to have to have better rules if they expect to make a difference.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited October 2009
    Way to half ass it guys.