Building new system, which video card set up?

edited October 2009 in Hardware
hey guys,

need some help here, I'm building a new system with an i7-920 but I'm not sure which way I should go with the video card. I have an 8800GTS 512MB in my old system (Athlon 64 X2 4400+ with 2GB RAM DDR) which I just bought maybe a year and a half ago. so here are my options that I was thinking:

Option 1: Crossfire 2x ATI Radeon 4870 1GB (~$300)
Option 2: buy the best ATI or Nvidia card out right now for around ($300-350) and think about SLi/CF later
Option 3: buy another 8800GTS 512MB and SLi it with my old card and buy a crappy card to stick in my old box ($100 for another 8800GTS 512 and maybe $50 for a crappy card)

I am thinking about spending $350 tops on the video solution for this new box. so what do you guys think? Thanks for your help!

-DG

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2009
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    CrossFired 4870s are faster than any other single card (yes, even the entire Radeon HD 5000 series).
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    any other limitations like power supply, space in case, overall power consumption?
  • edited October 2009
    QCH wrote:
    any other limitations like power supply, space in case, overall power consumption?

no limitations, as it would be a new build. looking to get a 750W psu, case is an Antec 900 with an Asus P6T deluxe mobo.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    If you are only interested in DirectX 10 or lower, crossfire <a title="Newegg affiliate link" href="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3467298-10440023?url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102849&quot; target="_blank">4870s</a>.

If you are interested in DirectX 11 content (and there are definitely DirectX 11 games coming), a <a title="Newegg affiliate link" href="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3467298-10440023?url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121349&quot; target="_blank">5850</a>. Plus, you can always add a second 5850 later and really crush it.

(Using our affiliate links to buy is appreciated! :D )
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    The only reason I ask is each option has it's own advantages/disavantages.

Option 1: Crossfire 2x ATI Radeon 4870 1GB (~$300)
    Power Supply will need two GPU Power connectors and this setup would burn up over 150 watts (my guess) & could raise the temp in your case. Could cost you as much as $100 per year more than a single card.

Option 2: buy the best ATI or Nvidia card out right now for around ($300-350) and think about SLi/CF later
    Less power consumption (wattage) and not increase as much in case temp.

Option 3: buy another 8800GTS 512MB and SLi it with my old card and buy a crappy card to stick in my old box ($100 for another 8800GTS 512 and maybe $50 for a crappy card)
    Cheapest output right now while still giving you great scores. However, you still have to power two cards.

My personal opinion, being broke... go with another 8800GTS and another sub-$100 card for the old system.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Option 2: Get the HD5850 and add in another one on down the road. $260-$290 right now.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Yeah seems to be the best value for the buck... 5850 that is...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Yeah seems to be the best value for the buck... 5850 that is...

In my mind to not buy a DX 11 capable piece of hardware will become an eventual regret that you will look to remedy with another purchase down the road only costing you more time and energy than scratching the itch right now.

I'm running a 5870, the performance level is insane, but at $259 its literally impossible to argue with the 5850 given your current budget. It brings you in under budget, and prepares you for the future. Crossfire X will allow you to add in a 5850, 5870 or even a 5870X2 later if you desire.

I would say the smart money is with the 5850 (if you can find one)
  • edited October 2009
    I would say the smart money is with the 5850 (if you can find one)

haha... that's the trick isn't it? I've been looking online and it's sold out everywhere I've looked. I'm in no real rush to build this rig yet so I can wait until it comes back into stock.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    DX11 will be great but you also need to look at what games are coming & if you will buy them. Along with, will you want a 2nd card or the new tech coming out in 6 months which might make your system run better then the 2 cards you might plan for now.

The crunch here is it is late in the Nvidia current tech tree to double down on their high end card, ATI has a top performer but can't keep them on the shelf :( Nvidia has something to be announced on Halloween which I think is directed at the Quadro line of things, but I could be wrong. Their new tech lineup is suppose to be truly next gen, but we will have to wait and see if that unfolds. I think those cards should be announced here shortly.

In precise terms... you might want to wait 1 month if you can. And keep your 8800 running for the time being.
  • edited October 2009
    thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with the 5850 and Xfire it when prices come down or I get some extra cash. I'm thinking I'll probably get the rest of the computer built and use my old 8800GTS for now and once the 5850 comes back into stock sometime in the next month, I'll grab that (unless something more tempting comes out).
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    DarkGuarDN wrote:
    thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with the 5850 and Xfire it when prices come down or I get some extra cash. I'm thinking I'll probably get the rest of the computer built and use my old 8800GTS for now and once the 5850 comes back into stock sometime in the next month, I'll grab that (unless something more tempting comes out).

Yeah, I'm in the same boat right now. I really want, and can afford, to get an HD5850, but finding the little buggers is a bit of a chore right now. I am going to keep rocking the 7900GT until I can get one (for once, graphics will be my main chokepoint). Hell, even with the 7900GT, I will see massive improvements thanks to having a phenomII instead of this xp4200 X2 socket939.

Newegg seems to be getting the 5850s from HIS and Sapphire (though sapphire's price went up by $25) but no one else. They do have a couple brands of 5870s available, but that $100 price jump is too much.
  • edited October 2009
    newegg actually just sent me an email saying the asus 5850 1GB is back in stock... get to it!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    DarkGuarDN wrote:
    newegg actually just sent me an email saying the asus 5850 1GB is back in stock... get to it!

If you click that newegg affiliate link on the front page and buy from there the nice folks that run Icrontic get a small cut, so its worth doing. (same newegg price and service either way)
  • edited October 2009
    If you click that newegg affiliate link on the front page and buy from there the nice folks that run Icrontic get a small cut, so its worth doing. (same newegg price and service either way)

I'll definitely do that when I order, had to disable adblocker tho!