Windows 7 Performance Index - Benchmark

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    List the manufacturer and Model of the laptop... We can find it out for you.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    ATTO would tell you in 1 run: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1137/ATTO_Disk_Benchmark_v2.34.html

If you see no more than 150MB/s then you are on SATA1
  • edited November 2009
    Dell studio xps 1640
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    So this is where my system finally sits... Just being jacked by having a Raptor drive & not SSD :( So ... I was gonna say "gay" here but that would be insensitive to any of our gay members, so instead of using "gay" as a slur, I'll say "so lame" or something equally non-offensive ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=27844&stc=1&d=1258579732

The memory running at 1600 rather than 1200 made a big difference. Also pushing the CPU at 4.0GHz also gave me the 7.9 I needed/wanted :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    That is a lot of 7.9s.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    So this is where my system finally sits... Just being jacked by having a Raptor drive & not SSD :( So Gay!

attachment.php?attachmentid=27844&stc=1&d=1258579732

Hawt.

Unfortunately for spindle-disk users, the 16k random seek score is what kills you even on a mega-fast drive (my WD Black scores a 5.9 as well). SSD Seek times are just simply so much faster than spindles.
    edited November 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    That is a lot of 7.9s.

I can't wait to get my hands on Nvidia's new GPU. I have been hearing good things about it.

Another thing I noticed not only in this test but in Super PI is that voltage seems to make a big difference. i was running 4.0GHz at 1.25V and my super PI score was 11.37sec I thank cranked it to 1.35 and got in the sub 10sec range...

I would love to hear someone thoughts on that situation.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I'll certainly be interested. Let us know! :D
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    Here are my low scores
    winindex.PNG

Considering the number of systems hitting the Max of 7.9 I think this rating system is meaningless for top performing systems and hardware. it has more meaning for lower end systems and can point out bottlenecks on a system that should be upgraded
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Hawt.

Unfortunately for spindle-disk users, the 16k random seek score is what kills you even on a mega-fast drive (my WD Black scores a 5.9 as well).
    Unless you're running a tasty RAID10... that gets you the extra .3 as is evident on my score.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Unless you're running a tasty RAID10... that gets you the extra .3 as is evident on my score.

I see your 6.2, and raise you:

attachment.php?attachmentid=27864&stc=1&d=1258942550
    edited November 2009
    I so need me some SSD drives....
    edited November 2009
    Those ain't SSDs.

5 platter drives in RAID5. ;D

I'd love me some SSDs though.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Evil windows, making us non-ssd users suffer!

I thought my score would suck but I guess not.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27874&d=1259043776

I'm starting too look at the Patriot Warp ssd...hmm....

And of course Sledge's rig kicks all of our's asses'.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    i see your 6.2, and raise you:

[shatner]
    beeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
    [/shatner]
    edited December 2009
    Just got my 965bk with c3 stepping.....wow is my computer suddenly less painful.

Still think these numbers are some what meaning less, other then I need a better GPU

Now to save up for a Quadrofx 1800 or Firepro v8700 and an SSD boot drive
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, seeing this thread again reminds me, I need to rerun the test to see if tightened RAM latencies make any difference in the score.
    edited December 2009
    I know for a fact memory speed was a factor. when I went from 1200 to 1600 I gained the extra points needed to hit 7.9
    edited December 2009
    The i7 platform is a bit different than Core 2, though... from what I understand, the Core 2 platform doesn't really gain much benefit above 1:1 with the FSB.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited December 2009
    Case: Cooler master storm
    cpu: Intel i5 - 750 @ 3.4ghz
    MLB: Msi gd-65
    Memory: patriot ddr3 cas7
    Video: Galaxy gtx 260+
    HDD: WD 1 tb dual processor
    edited December 2009
    I have no idea how this thing calculates HD score...

My Asus 1000HE Netbook (at best it's a 5400RPM drive) got 5.7 in Windows 7 performance index. My RAID5 array gets 6.1-6.3, depending how it feels.

:banghead:
    edited December 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    I have no idea how this thing calculates HD score...

Here is what Winsat does to produce the performance benchmarks

for Hard drive it's a combined score that measures
    1. Sequential I/O read performance
    2. Random I/O write performance
    3. flush performance

For CPU
    1. encryption and decryption for AES 256bit and SHA1 hash
    2. compression and decompression for Lempel-Zev algorithm and Windows internal algorithms

For memory
    1. memory bandwidth in a manner reflective of large memory to memory buffer copies

For Graphics
    1. graphics memory throughput (bandwidth) metric
    2. D3D assessment

all the scores are then placed on an arbitrary scale that microsoft controls and claims to update with 1 point per month. (the win 7 version of winsat has a different scale then vista used and some changes to how ratings are measured)
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I get a 6.0 if I have the November ATI drivers installed for my 4870x2, I get a 7.0 if I don't have them installed...
    CPU is 7.5
    Memory is 7.9
    Graphics is 6.0
    Gaming Graphics is 7.9
    Primary Hard Disk is 7.6
    edited December 2009
    DanG wrote:
    I get a 6.0 if I have the November ATI drivers installed for my 4870x2, I get a 7.0 if I don't have them installed..
    Drivers ftw
    edited December 2009
    DanG wrote:
    I get a 6.0 if I have the November ATI drivers installed for my 4870x2, I get a 7.0 if I don't have them installed...
    CPU is 7.5
    Memory is 7.9
    Graphics is 6.0
    Gaming Graphics is 7.9
    Primary Hard Disk is 7.6

A 6.0 on a 4870x2 is definitely a weird score. My Studio 1735's mobility 3650 got a 6.0...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    This is my new build on 2x30GB OCZ Vertex. CPU is backed down to 3.6GHz, DDR3 @ 1440MHz, and 5850 @ stock.

wpi.PNG
    edited December 2009
    ^look at those SSD numbers....makes me want one
    edited January 2010
    While I don't completely understand the math used to determine the hard disk subscore, I'm starting to suspect that random seek times must play into it. Even when I had my entire set of 5 drives in a RAID5 array, I couldn't get anywhere near a 7.5 - but I was able to confirm with a separate testing tool that the array could sustain-read at 410MB/s...

Random seek time would explain the discrepancy. No matter how many drives there are in a RAID array, they're still limited by the physics of read/write head movement.
    edited January 2010
    lordbean wrote:
    While I don't completely understand the math used to determine the hard disk subscore, I'm starting to suspect that random seek times must play into it. Even when I had my entire set of 5 drives in a RAID5 array, I couldn't get anywhere near a 7.5 - but I was able to confirm with a separate testing tool that the array could sustain-read at 410MB/s...

Random seek time would explain the discrepancy. No matter how many drives there are in a RAID array, they're still limited by the physics of read/write head movement.

Random I/O write performance is one of the 3 parts used to calculate the score (if you had read my other post I already had mentioned that)
    edited January 2010
    Photodude, I didn't happen to equate "random I/O writes" with "random seek times" in my mind. It was an honest mistake - was it really worth getting sarcastic with me over?

Also, your post is not entirely correct. In fact, the testing does random and sequential tests on both read and write performance.