How do I overclock an ATI Radeon HD 5870? I'm new to video overclocking

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2009 in Hardware
Having never really had a card worth overclocking, and having been uninspired by lackluster low- to mid-range hardware in the past, I suddenly find myself with some seriously bad-ass kit.

And now I want to see how far I can push it.

So:

How do I overclock this beast? :D

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    volt mods, liquid cooling and rivatuner. or just invite mas0n over

;)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Luwk heer

Ill bring my tower this weekend. Maybe we can snag my HR-03 off of my card to push it a bit farther.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    At the end of the day, same as a CPU... once you have the apps to set the clock speeds, it's just a matter of patience, and a lot of reboots.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    the nice thing is you push GPU's until artifacting happens.. than you dial it back a bit. if you go water and voltage mods than well... your crazy :) AS GPU cards will fry much faster than CPU's & Mobo's

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86425

That is how I did it without water...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    We have a search function, noob.

<3
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Relevant

The best tools to use right now are AMD GPU Clock Tool for clocks and MSI Afterburner for voltage/clocks/fan. If you're not running an MSI BIOS, you'll have to use the AMD GPU Clock Tool to push the card beyond the top speeds of Catalyst Control Center while still using Afterburner to push voltage. Many people, including lordbean, just flashed their card to use an MSI BIOS so they can work entirely within MSI Afterburner.

-There is no official Rivatuner release that works with the 5xxx series
    -It is not possible to overvolt this card via software
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited October 2009
    While your at it get this and smile at DirectX11

http://unigine.com/download/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Old :p
    edited November 2009
    Flashing the card to the unlocked MSI BIOS worked quite well for me. I have full control of my card (core/mem/voltage/fanspeed) right from Afterburner. By the way, the HD5850's stock voltage is 1.088v, which is actually a few notches lower than the HD5870's 1.150. Since they have the same cooling setup, I don't see any harm in setting the HD5850 to 1.150v as well. I was able to attain core 875MHz / mem 1175MHz at that voltage without overriding the BIOS fan controller.

/EDIT: for reference, I have a Gigabyte (and soon a Sapphire as well) card. Many people have probably noticed though, the only difference between the cards is the decal stuck to the cooler to differentiate from other companies. The complete package is still being manufactured in AMD's own facilities, so in all honesty, any BIOS should work with any card at this point in time.

This may change in the future as the companies start to buy just the core GPU chips and implement their own PCB/cooler setups, but for the time being my belief is that they're all 100% interchangeable.
    /EDIT
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I have an engineering sample. I don't know if that means anything
    edited November 2009
    I have an engineering sample. I don't know if that means anything

/curveball

I have no idea. There's no guarantee than an engineering sample is 100% the same thing as the retail products.