Can't download core - folder read only? New SMP install on Win 7

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Folding@Home
I'm trying to get FAH SMP v6.24 to work on my new Windows 7 x64 install, but it has an error decompressing the core each time. It turns out that my Folding directory is set to read only, and every time I change it, it reverts back immediately. What's up with that?

I installed to the default directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01)
[16:16:53] + 825633 bytes downloaded
[16:16:53] Verifying core Core_78.fah...
[16:16:53] Signature is VALID
[16:16:53]
[16:16:53] Trying to unzip core FahCore_78.exe
[16:16:54] - Couldn't open file FahCore_78.exe
[16:16:54] + Error: Could not extract core
[16:16:54] + Core download error (#3), waiting before retry...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Run the FAH core as administrator. The Program Files folder(s) cannot be modified without administrative or UAC authorization on Windows 7.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Ah, that explains it! Thanks Rob. It is weird that it kept asking me for UAC permission, but basically ignored it.

That also explains this line in the FAH FAQ I just stumbled upon:
    Note: For Windows Vista, install the client to C:\Users\<user_name>\FAH If you intall to the C:\Program Files\... directory tree, the client may not run if UAC is not disabled.
    </user_name>
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    huh what? You should have two locations for this install. One in program and one in user/application data. You install from admin cmd, then run the install.bat from the program folder, then set the .exe in programs to run as admin. All you work should be going to a FAH folder in application data.