The purpose of life and the pursuit of happiness

karmicRetributekarmicRetribute Aghadrumsee, Fermanagh, Ireland!!!!
edited November 2009 in Lifestyle
Hello, I'm new to icrontic and not totally sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, however it's about life and this is the Life section so i suppose I am.:rolleyes:

I have a theory I would like to subject to you all, and would appreciate your comments wether they be in agreement or total unrelenting disagreement with me.

This is my theory on the purpose of life:

Now, first I must say that I am an Atheist and obviously this will have a dramatic effect on my theory. I believe that we serve a totally biological purpose and like all creatures our only aim is to reproduce, however as humans blessed with exceptionial intelligence we have a little thing called self-awareness. Now I believe that this gives us the ability to question our purpose, and if we find it irrelevant or pointless we can of course then choose our own direction. This self-awareness means that life has no set purpose but only the purpose you set for yourself. Now I know that may seem like cyclical logic but it's not. ;D

What do we choose then? Well from and idealistic viewpoint I would suggest we choose what makes us happy, but to suggest that would be to present another question. For if we choose a purpose for the sole reason that it will make us happy we therefore assume that happiness is infinite if a purpose is fulfilled which as I'm sure we all know is just down-right untrue.

Here is were I present to you my theory on (infinite)happiness:

In my opinion happiness or excitement come from the exploration of the unknown, be the unknown feelings, places, cultures, activities etc. We are only truly experiencing intense emotion during times such as these. So, if we make our purpose to explore the unknown, does this in itself bring infinite happiness due to the fact that the unknown as a general compilation is infinite?

This is my understanding of Life in the short 17 years I've been around, I'm sure you wisened men will dash my idealistic viewpoint though ;D

Comments

• karmicRetributekarmicRetribute Aghadrumsee, Fermanagh, Ireland!!!!
    edited November 2009
    Oh and if happiness can be infinite can that too be true of sadness?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Well, obviously.
    edited November 2009
    That was worth the link just for the laugh! Well in sir
  • edited November 2009
    I agree. Everyone seems to want happiness - if I was saying this out loud it would sound funny - so it must be programmed into us somewhere and I trust that not many will dashyou idealistic viewpoint through

I must add, I am not a wisened man I am younger than you
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Happiness = prime's French press coffee + Baileys
    edited November 2009
    Jason wrote:
    Happiness = prime's French press coffee + Baileys

You're a man of simple pleasure's!

Anyone care to share their ideal day??
    edited November 2009
    I agree. Everyone seems to want happiness - if I was saying this out loud it would sound funny - so it must be programmed into us somewhere...

Let assume we take this to be true, if we are indeed capable of finding sadness everywhere does this require us to have a pre-determined pesismistic mindset? Or is it due to a lack of fulfillment in life accompanied by a menial purpose?