SSD crippled performance please help

edited November 2009 in Hardware
I'm running a dell studioxps with a Samsung PM800 256GB SSD and it seems to be not running optimally. For one the new 7 performance rating gives it a 5.9 the same score as my friends 7200 rpm HDD. I've benchmarked it at 125 - 150 mb/s read and 25 mb/s write. This seems terribly slow and I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out why.

Thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    When you formatted the drive to install Windows 7, did you perform a full or quick format? How full is the drive? What is the partition structure on that disk?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Did you read what I posted in the other thread? http://icrontic.com/forum/showpost.php?p=720201&postcount=33

You are running a laptop, which means they most likely have crippled the southbridge to run at SATA1 not SATA2 speeds.

As I posted.. 125 - 150 in ATTO on that drive = SATA1 on the controller. See my benchmark on my Dell (from early 2008) below.

Post a screenshot of the CPU-z mainboard tab like in the upper left of this photo.

atto_summit_sysdrive.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    yea I just saw it Capture.png

I re ran the tests just now and I got signifigantly better results than I was getting before
    edited November 2009
    Looks like you have several things going on in the background that were slowing the speeds.
  • edited November 2009
    agg now I feel dumb. I was running on battery power before which is why the low numbers once I connected everything shot up
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Woops. :P Glad you figured it out.
  • edited November 2009
    haha ya still I'd like an explanation of 7's performance index cuz I think those speeds deserver higher than a 5.9 :/
    edited November 2009
    Do you still get 5.9 with it plugged in?
  • edited November 2009
    Yea
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Reality check

5.9/7.0 from a laptop really isn't anything to ashamed of!